So, I've banked only about 7 hours into this game so far. I've built almost everything, with the exception of the drill and the spaceshuttle.

I've loved my experience so far with the game. It's a really cool concept, but I feel like there isn't really much left to do. It's like, I can build a space shuttle to go to another planet, but what will I do once I'm there? I could mine more resources, but for what? To build more spaceshuttles,  so I can visit more planets, to get more resources, to.... build more spaceshuttles? I don't really know what to do with resources anymore. The resource gathering in this game is awesome, and very well done, but the resources themselves need more utility. Right now, your resources can only help you get more resources. The resources themselves aren't a means to anything more than more resources.

The game definately needs a lot more crafting. More backpacks, more gravity guns, more buildings, more construction options, maybe some enemies and weapons. As it stands right now, there isn't a whole lot of ways to develop your astronaut, and there isn't a whole lot to use resources for.

If the game simply relies on gathering resource to be the main objective in the game, I don't see if growing much larger than it is at the moment.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, just wanted to give my perspective on the current state of the game. I know it's still pre-alpha, but that makes now probably the best time to give this kind of criticism.

18 minutes ago, vXxo0oxXv said:

I know it's still pre-alpha, but that makes now probably the best time to give this kind of criticism.

IMHO, it is still too early to make that type of criticism. First, the devs are here. They communicate and let us know what is going on. Second, if one goes to the suggestion thread and reads just a few posts one will soon realize this game, with time and funding, could expand to infinity and beyond! There really is no limit to what can happen in the vast universe. I'm hoping one day the devs will be able to bend if not break some physics laws! ;) 

What comes to the current state of the game, I agree with OP. However this is a pre-alpha version. I'm confident there will be more content.

I have played ~150 hours and there is only one frustrating aspect - ascending amount of lag over time - so I start over again and again and try experimental base layouts, dig to the core and play with gravity or build a giant bridge all the way to the top and start a new skybase there

And I feel that I simply can't get bored - I don't even need to play it to feel good, I can just launch it and stay there charmingly overwhelmed by beautiful sceneries, vast nothingness of space and powerful typhoons.

I love that you can have mulitiple solutions for every task - there are always at least two types of solar panel, wind vanes, generators, batteries, rovers and shuttles and you can find even more of them - so the key, the method, your style of gaming - it's totally up to you

Just one thing makes me sad - fps issue. I wish I could build dozens of bases on each planet with dozens of trucks, shuttles, storage caves, even cities - all in one game save - but I can't, the more I build the worse the lag

Edited by eagroke

1 hour ago, eagroke said:

I have played ~150 hours *snip* so I start over again and again and try experimental base layouts*snip*

About 140 here, slowing down abit waiting for content, I do the same, I delete all saves after patch, make maybe 2-3 games, basically I drive around.. alot.  I like the driving mechanics, apparently I'm the only one who does.

17 hours ago, vXxo0oxXv said:

I've loved my experience so far with the game. It's a really cool concept, but I feel like there isn't really much left to do. It's like, I can build a space shuttle to go to another planet, but what will I do once I'm there? I could mine more resources, but for what? To build more spaceshuttles,  so I can visit more planets, to get more resources, to.... build more spaceshuttles? I don't really know what to do with resources anymore. The resource gathering in this game is awesome, and very well done, but the resources themselves need more utility. Right now, your resources can only help you get more resources. The resources themselves aren't a means to anything more than more resources

As every sandbox game, Astroneer gives you possibility to use your imagination and creativity, without telling you: do this, then that, you'll get rewarded with something. It's up to you, devs gave you this sandbox, jump in and have fun. Make your own story.
When I go to another planet I bring with me nothing but the most essential equipment and build base from nothing. That's my way. But if you prefer going on another planet with all kind of resources and set up new base right after jumping of your spaceship - well, it can be tedious.
Be patient, content is coming and many new mechanics will make use of gathered resources, that's for sure. It's pre-alpha. But at the end, there is always a point, in which you can't do anything new, you've done everything.
That's why you should be able to make your own story, do creative things or just ordinary things in an unordinary way. 

1 hour ago, eagroke said:

And I feel that I simply can't get bored - I don't even need to play it to feel good, I can just launch it and stay there charmingly overwhelmed by beautiful sceneries, vast nothingness of space and powerful typhoons.

I love that you can have mulitiple solutions for every task - there are always at least two types of solar panel, wind vanes, generators, batteries, rovers and shuttles and you can find even more of them - so the key, the method, your style of gaming - it's totally up to you.

Agreed.

Edited by gp.

19 hours ago, Martin said:

About 140 here, slowing down abit waiting for content, I do the same, I delete all saves after patch, make maybe 2-3 games, basically I drive around.. alot.  I like the driving mechanics, apparently I'm the only one who does.

At first it was confusing but now I like it too - still feels a little weird but u can control it even more precisely with camera (mouse)

I wish there were mobile research and/or smelter pods so I could play completely nomad

Edited by eagroke

I just limit the amount i play between each patch, because yes eventually you run out of things to do.  I agree on lack of content, but also totally understand it is pre-alpha.  Again, I just limit game time and it works.  We're really just trying this out and helping the devs with testing/bugs... we should not be too focused on the lack of content or game path at this point.

I love what we have so far. 

19 minutes ago, Demetri H said:

I just limit the amount i play between each patch, because yes eventually you run out of things to do.  I agree on lack of content, but also totally understand it is pre-alpha.  Again, I just limit game time and it works.  We're really just trying this out and helping the devs with testing/bugs... we should not be too focused on the lack of content or game path at this point.

I love what we have so far. 

same here.  after every patch i have a theme'd objective.  this time it was to drive up every mountain with my double-rover-trolley and flatten the top and place a beacon and build a structure i could see from a distance to help identify the location.  i haven't played in days.  but i think i am going to go back in and connect all the mountain tops together, that i have climbed.

what do you guys do?  would love to borrow a theme....?

3 hours ago, eagroke said:

At first it was confusing but now I like it too - still feels a little weird but u can control it even more precisely with camera (mouse)

I wish there were mobile research and/or smelter pods so I could play completely nomad

This is one of the suggestions I made early on for the game, wouldn't it be great to just mount everything on trucks and slowly move around mining the place out, setting down trade depots to send resources back to your corporation, in exchange for new blueprints etc.

You can also drive the vehicles by using the direction keys, I'm left handed, so I keyed all my buttons to the keypad, I use the camera to just set my viewpoint, use the keys to drive around rocks etc. 

34 minutes ago, NjalStorm said:

same here.  after every patch i have a theme'd objective.  this time it was to drive up every mountain with my double-rover-trolley and flatten the top and place a beacon and build a structure i could see from a distance to help identify the location.  i haven't played in days.  but i think i am going to go back in and connect all the mountain tops together, that i have climbed.

what do you guys do?  would love to borrow a theme....?

pretty cool.... base configs, and base locations.... like build an elevated base or a base protected by high mountainous walls. i guess with your rover theme.. i can try and make ramps and such to drive off ( Evel Knievel style) haven't done that.

I was making a raised motorway on exotic, to bypass all the undulating surface terrain, but one of the issues I'm having is the "ball shaped planet" you eventually start making a road off into space.. then have to readjust it and it's the readjusting part that's proving annoying, because you can't get a flat surface all the time.

On 31.1.2017 at 6:38 PM, Martin said:

Nope, not the only one. I like it as well! Driving on the moon is so much fun.

2 minutes ago, barbarossa said:

Nope, not the only one. I like it as well! Driving on the moon is so much fun.

i HATE driving on the moon can't stay in the truck/rover for long enough before it flips over i spend half the time driving and the other half flipping the rover/truck back the right way round 

back on topic you should check out  List of every possible and planned features 

even if half the things on that list happen i will be very happy 

3 hours ago, Demetri H said:

pretty cool.... base configs, and base locations.... like build an elevated base or a base protected by high mountainous walls. i guess with your rover theme.. i can try and make ramps and such to drive off ( Evel Knievel style) haven't done that.

i have built bases on mountain tops, that was last patch's theme.  i have driven off of ledges and mountain tops, you can survive most of them.  once the vehicle gets somersaulting you pop out and sometimes get killed.....

2 hours ago, Martin said:

I was making a raised motorway on exotic, to bypass all the undulating surface terrain, but one of the issues I'm having is the "ball shaped planet" you eventually start making a road off into space.. then have to readjust it and it's the readjusting part that's proving annoying, because you can't get a flat surface all the time.

interesting:  the earth curves 8 inches per mile.  i wonder what the curve rate is for the various planets?

4 hours ago, TrojanSteel said:

They may need to add a 4th function to the deform tool to lock on to the center of the planet so it follows it's curve.

Yeh but the problem is, the game is made of triangles and the world isn't an actual circular or oval ball, it's a very large hexi something odon so at some point you will either have to make unflat surfaces or build out far enough to get a new angled flat surface to continue "around".

I realise this is somewhat offtopic of the op, although, really, the objective of the game is to have fun and i'm discussing how I have fun.   Devs haven't given us any real basis for the game's "story" other than we work for one of four corporations surveying planets.. I assume one of four, since there's currently 4 astroneers.  Could well get many more varied suits, which would be cool, maybe some flags etc.. logos.   Outside of that.. whats to be said. *shrugs*

Edited by Martin

19 hours ago, The Underminer said:

I, like my dog, find digging an end to justify the means.... but a terrain smoothing tool would be sweet.

the terrain tool can smooth out... its the 3rd function on it.. (lower, raise, smooth) Or did you mean something else?

2 hours ago, Demetri H said:

the terrain tool can smooth out... its the 3rd function on it.. (lower, raise, smooth) Or did you mean something else?

It doesn't smooth the terrain it flattens it.  Smoothing would be removing all the bumps and staying with the contour  of the surface.

Yeh would be handly to have a tool that smooths at the height you're currently pointing at.   ie instead of leveling from a hopefully flat triangle, it creates a level field from any point, horizontal to the core of the planet at your current point, or vertical/sloped to 45dg if pointed at a wall or sloped area.

However the current system, also works well, it just needs alot of practice and a hell of alot of luck.  Or really keen eyesight.

Edited by Martin

On 31/01/2017 at 6:38 PM, Martin said:

i like the driving mechanics too but i would like rover to be less jumpy and feel a bit more heavy.Beside these i love itm

I also love driving off-world.  My current playstyle entails using my spacecraft to power only a node and a vehicle bay, build a truck, use the seat off my spacecraft, and go exploring for space wrecks.  Sometimes I'll bring a drill head and make a crane.  When I get home, I'll circumnavigate the moon.

Edited by Gozer