Potatohead

Do items despawn?

No, all items are supposed to be persistent. If they ever disappear, they either got blown away by storms or glitched into the terrain.

Itens do despawn after some time if you leave them in the ground. That is 100% positive to me.

Edited by Oleker

Item clusters do despawn to my knowledge I mined a ton of resources in a cave when I went to drop the items off at base soon as I went back to where I mined the ore all the clusters of ore were gone, maybe if you go out of range and the game despawns the world behind you it removes the dropped items and obviously doesn't put them back when you return?

4 hours ago, Oleker said:

Itens do despawn after some time if you leave them in the ground. That is 100% positive to me.

48 minutes ago, Psy said:

Item clusters do despawn to my knowledge I mined a ton of resources in a cave when I went to drop the items off at base soon as I went back to where I mined the ore all the clusters of ore were gone, maybe if you go out of range and the game despawns the world behind you it removes the dropped items and obviously doesn't put them back when you return?

Are you absolutely certain they weren't "eaten" by the terrain? Especially large clusters can glitch themselves into the terrain easily due the contact with other objects. I wouldn't know of a setting that allows items to completely disappear.

I haven't experienced loosing items because of despawning, but i imagine if you take too long (for instance) picking up resources you've mined, or things you've left lying around your base, then they will despawn.

Edited by WestNomad

On 17/12/2016 at 10:08 PM, Potatohead said:

Do items despawn, like if you drop them or if you die?

I left my planet and left about 6 storage containers full of resources and when I came back they'd all gone , it was just like a silent cartoon ....... my character almost shrugged and sighed ?? , annoying but funny ? ! 

I put 4 organic in a hole and they stayed for multiple days but eventually they vanished.  Not sure if it is a saving issue or a glitching through the ground issue but they vanished

What I recognized was a different "behaviour" depending on what items.
I made small deep holes for different items for collectim them. As the border gets more narrow and has a bulge, blowing away is impossible.
So oxygen, organic and how-was-the-name-of-the-rocketfuell always didnt vanished - at least I didnt recognized that some missed.
But metals (were together in one hole) dissolved. At a time the hole was empty.
maybe the "eaten" thing, I didnt checked. Now I only use these 8-time storage on connection nodes...

On 18/12/2016 at 2:47 PM, Wyvyrias said:
On 18/12/2016 at 1:57 PM, Psy said:

Are you absolutely certain they weren't "eaten" by the terrain? Especially large clusters can glitch themselves into the terrain easily due the contact with other objects. I wouldn't know of a setting that allows items to completely disappear.

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Only difference is that instead of moving far away and going back, I simply went to drop a few stuff on my base (somewhat directly above the cave) and save/quit the game.

When I logged in again, the area of the cave where I was dropping my stuff "terraformed itself" into flat terrain from the small hole I'd carved, and all my stacks of ore were gone.

I actually tried digging where my stuff used to be after reading this thread, but got no luck.

Edited by Tobi the goat
typo

13 minutes ago, Tobi the goat said:

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Only difference is that instead of moving far away and going back, I simply went to drop a few stuff on my base (somewhat directly above the cave) and save/quit the game.

When I logged in again, the area of the cave where I was dropping my stuff "terraformed itself" into flat terrain from the small hole I'd carved, and all my stacks of ore were gone.

I actually tried digging where my stuff used to be after reading this thread, but got no luck.

I just asked and items definitely do not despawn. They are falling through the terrain. The issue is they could be falling straight down to the core (or close to it). But I quickly digging all the way down there isn't exactly an option.

14 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

I just asked and items definitely do not despawn. They are falling through the terrain. The issue is they could be falling straight down to the core (or close to it). But I quickly digging all the way down there isn't exactly an option.

Eh that's unfortunate :/

I'll try placing them on top of a platform (instead of inside a hole) this time to see if it happens again.

So we need to dig the planet than; also those gif was geat did you made it?

Tuth is planet doesnt spawn; if you leave game on land and estat to game, you will fall down fom teain. Because fist you spawn than you base spawn than items spawn and than planet will spawn so leaving the game and loading it causing this thing. Also if item fa away stom will not effect them and they will not go down fom teain because futhe planet spawns and nea items spawns but when you stat to game its opposite lastly planet spawns.

Fo emoving this bug, spawn ode must change; fist wold spawn.

In ~15 hours on one save game, I haven't had any items outright despawn yet, but I have had some weird behavior that looked initially like a despawn:

• When shuttling supplies to the moon, on a return trip I left my storage full of stuff on the mun to make room to bring back a research pod. After a few trips, one time when I came back the storage was gone. The next day (while building tether's fully around the moon) I discovered the pod floating up in the air, a little higher than I felt like it was worth trying to get up to, so I left it there.
  • In a cave, I had discovered—but hadn't even started to mine—some Al and Cu ore deposits close to my home base; When I reloaded the game later that day—specifically to mine them—they had disappeared. Interestingly, after quitting and reloading, they came back!

On 17/12/2016 at 5:08 PM, Potatohead said:

From my experience, they need too be attached to something. If you place on ground, the wind will blow them away without you even noticing. Happened top 4 storage platforms, for me.

Also lost a rover with a battery on it, went right into ground in some underground cave. And my spaceship is currently upside down glirched into the ground.. And my truck and trailer also glirtched about a mile under my base. Too me 2 hours to retrieve it. Now im building a second base below my first base. The caves are endless on the planet i am on. 

I even flew around my planet, and noticed that there were like over 20 landing zones. So the map is huge !!

On 12/17/2016 at 5:08 PM, Potatohead said:

I'm pretty sure that most objects that are affected by gravity (i.e. resource stacks, vehicles - excluding the shuttle and spaceship - and storage) will glitch into the ground when the player gets too far away from them. This is most likely the reason for trucks and rovers to pop out of the ground when the player comes back to base, and for resource stacks disappearing. I have had all of my trucks and rovers gone as if they no longer exist when I came back from another planet.