pip414

Crashes On start and shuts down entire computer-please Help!

When I launch the game I get to the screen past the loading screen.  Then it almost immediately after I get to that screen it crashes the game and the entire computer.  

Nvidia 660Ti

8GB RAM

Windows 10 

Yeh sounds like it's either a critical error, overheating or your video card is not Dx11 compliant.  Might claim to be Dx11 supporting.. but isn't.   What then happens is you load game, it finds your drivers are wrong and crashes basically.  Or your card overheats, which crashes the pc.  Be careful problem solving this tho, too many overheat crashes can cause irripairable damage, ie burn out memory banks etc.  or cause corruptions via bluescreen ctd crashes, which can mess up hard drive manager data or windows boot data.

If you've cleaned it and you cleaned any of the gpu's/cpu's check you've replaced the silicon seal properly, if this is done wrong can cause rapid overheating.  Check everything is correctly seated, by taking it out and putting it firmly back in place.

I've removed and re-seated the video card (nvidia 660ti) , cleaned everything, and still get the same behavior - ie - instantaneous crash when the game launches.. The event view shows nothing other than "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. ", but there is no preceding event that is indicative of a problem. dxdiag shows that the system is dx12 compliant. Not sure where else to go.....

Windows 10 64

Another data point. The system behaves the same way (ie - software loads, but instantly crashes before any graphics are shown) when I run furmark. I thinks its the GPU hardware.....

Have you checked to see if graphic acceleration is on in the Nvidia control panel? If these are the only two programs that your having trouble with then it could just be a setting.

The 660 is a fairly old card almost 5 years the first thing I would do is make sure you have the most up to date drivers from Nvidia (and check your mb drivers as well). Sometimes the Microsoft supplied drivers are older versions and buggy. After that it sounds like you have done everything else already and the only thing left to do is replace the card. Depending on the vendor you might still be under warranty.

It definitely supports dx11.  The oem base 660 supports dx11.

It isn't overclocked?

I used to have 2 sli GTX 650's.. back when they were 40cm long.. not compacted versions like you get now.  And they claimed to run dx11.. but they didn't.  They only supported Dx9.0   (In Civ 5)  Now the 660 Ti is a better card.. but it might have the same issue.

Edited by Martin