I have purchased the game and love the roof of potential this game entails. As a fellow developer with extra time (no way right?). I would love to be involved with a side project. Is there anyway a fellow software developer can contribute? Are there any open source portions of the game that the community can get involved with? 

Also is there a modding community around the game? 

• 2 weeks later...

Modding is not supported yet, thus there's no modding community around yet (also I guess I can say "no" to the other points, too...System Era is hiring though)!
Though we surely do have some people who are capable of creating various mods.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion adding mod capabilities to a game like Astroneer might be a good thing as it would be able to allow those capable of modding to make content for the game that the development team might have never thought of. If your wondering what I am talking about look at a few other games like space engineers, Ark, and others I can't think of at the moment that have vast modding communities that if development see's a mod that's popular and content fits into a part of the game the dev's would ask permission to make it part of the actual game.

Devs have stated that they would love the option for community to mod this game. 

But... they really want the game to be what they believe it can be <- a full release. In the latest stream we heard that in this current, pre-alpha state we are to play around with mechanics and get the feel of the game. 

Alot is to change and to be balanced.