Trade Platform Fuel Exploit

GIndustries

Having Problems Finding resources? here's an exploit for you. quite a simple set up if you have the trading platform and fuel condenser researched, this simple set up will let you build bases for days. 

fuel is a 1 to 1 trade for common resources, 2 to 1 for uncommon and 8 to 1 for rare. but using this simple set up and you can make multiples resource issues will never be a problem again. fuel only takes energy so really the only thing your giving up is time to recharge the stations. but simple solution for less time involved make more fuel condensers and make all your wildest dreams come true. 

20170127004458_1.jpg

Btw. It's not an exploit. You need to build those buildings first to use them and provide them with energy. If you've built an oil pumping station over an oil well in real life, you have plenty of oil too. is this an real world exploit? ;-)

meh i find it an exploit because it takes no resources to make the fuel. energy is quite easy and i hardly consider it a resource. 

@lithium i kinda figured, just saw some post about people not finding resources so thought it odd when this was possible. 

So you have your own time as resource if energy does not count for you ;-) And it's a really boring process. This is a pretty high cost in my opinion ;-) My time is worth more than 8 fuel for 1 rare resource ;-)

2 hours ago, Kerby84 said:

Btw. It's not an exploit. You need to build those buildings first to use them and provide them with energy. If you've built an oil pumping station over an oil well in real life, you have plenty of oil too. is this an real world exploit? ;-)

2 hours ago, Kerby84 said:

So you have your own time as resource if energy does not count for you ;-) And it's a really boring process. This is a pretty high cost in my opinion ;-) My time is worth more than 8 fuel for 1 rare resource ;-)

It depends on the scale, though. You easily can get +10 times of that in the same time. It basically enables the player to "play" the game in a way that it's not meant to be played, so it can be considered an exploit. Generating progress by moving fuel that has been pulled out of thin air certainly is not an intended goal of the game and doesn't exactly work that way in real life either (because in Astroneer it actually is unlimited and does not require days, weeks or even months to find the right spot).

But either way, yes, this is a very known thing and will be addressed further in the future. Thanks for the feedback, though!

i wouldn't say its an exploit but it is really overpowered 

with 8 fuel condensers and 2 trade stations you can get any resource much faster than you ever would mining for it

easy fix

make the fuel condensers harder to build

they could make the research to build one super hard to find and maybe to build each one you have to find a plant that's only near the core of the planet get the plant back to your platform and build the fuel condenser round it 

making resource farms possible but much harder to set up  

the possibilities are endless 

I think the fuel condenser should require 8 organic to operate. As things are right now, fuel is not really an issue at all. Especially considering how many trips a fully fueled spacecraft can make..

3 hours ago, AutoMcD said:

I think the fuel condenser should require 8 organic to operate. As things are right now, fuel is not really an issue at all. Especially considering how many trips a fully fueled spacecraft can make..

+1

I think three things need to happen here:

1. The fuel condenser should require oodles and oodles of power to operate (maybe 4 or even 8 times what it currently requires).

2. The trade platform should treat hydrazine as less valuable than a common resource - cut the trade in half or maybe even a fourth.  This will eliminate getting rare elements, since the trade platform can only hold eight items and you would need 16 or possibly even 32 to get one rare item.

3. Make the time that the trade platform to work longer.  You should have to wait more than a few seconds to get your traded items back.  Maybe 5 or even 10 minutes.

Edited by Tony Cable

2 hours ago, Tony Cable said:

I think three things need to happen here:

1. The fuel condenser should require oodles and oodles of power to operate (maybe 4 or even 8 times what it currently requires).

2. The trade platform should treat hydrazine as less valuable than a common resource - cut the trade in half or maybe even a fourth.  This will eliminate getting rare elements, since the trade platform can only hold eight items and you would need 16 or possibly even 32 to get one rare item.

3. Make the time that the trade platform to work longer.  You should have to wait more than a few seconds to get your traded items back.  Maybe 5 or even 10 minutes.

If it has to be nerfed this heavily, is it even worth having the Fuel Condenser? I'd rather the devs save their time and just get rid of it.

Thank goodness this has come up again.  I was getting worried that the devs were going to be forced to look into silly things like performance and adding content.   Whatever the solution, it should be as complicated as possible otherwise someone might object.   AND, never, ever consider simply leaving the fuel condenser in place - so as to make it relatively easy to travel between planets - and just removing hydrazine from the trade platform equation completely. 

2 hours ago, erikinthebakery said:

If it has to be nerfed this heavily, is it even worth having the Fuel Condenser? I'd rather the devs save their time and just get rid of it.

I would hate to see functionality in the game completely removed.  Maybe there could be scenarios/challenges/campaigns/storymode that require the fuel condenser and trade platform, but not have either available in the regular game?  Also, I think these should be allowed in sandbox mode, where there wouldn't really be any challenge to beat the game anyway. 

I don't think a full sandbox mode should be available until you have beaten the story mode (assuming there is a story mode).

Edited by Tony Cable

I've often wondered if the Devs have intentionally made resources relatively easy to find through exploration/mining or using the condenser/trade method in order to help speed up the bug finding process.

Also, knowing that it won't take me weeks to catch up means I'm quite happy to abandon a save and start afresh when the game breaks/gets too laggy. 

22 minutes ago, Davers73 said:

I've often wondered if the Devs have intentionally made resources relatively easy to find through exploration/mining or using the condenser/trade method in order to help speed up the bug finding process.

Also, knowing that it won't take me weeks to catch up means I'm quite happy to abandon a save and start afresh when the game breaks/gets too laggy. 

I would think that this early in the game, that would be the case.   It sort impossible to exploit a system that doesn't yet have a definition.  I mean, what is the point of the game?  How do you win?  How do you "beat" the game? Are you even supposed to?   The game could go in a whole bunch of different directions eventually, but it won't go anywhere until the basic toolkit for the foundation of the game has had the bugs ironed out.

I recently started a new world and had an amazing experience.  The game was so super responsive it was a joy to do anything.   What I would like is to have that same performance when I have 3 or 4 bases total on 2-3 different worlds.  Actually, I want that experience no matter how many bases I have, how big they are and how many worlds I have touched.  To me, that's job one, figure that out before solving the great hydrazine debate.

1 hour ago, Flashman said:

I would think that this early in the game, that would be the case.   It sort impossible to exploit a system that doesn't yet have a definition.  I mean, what is the point of the game?  How do you win?  How do you "beat" the game? Are you even supposed to?   The game could go in a whole bunch of different directions eventually, but it won't go anywhere until the basic toolkit for the foundation of the game has had the bugs ironed out.

I recently started a new world and had an amazing experience.  The game was so super responsive it was a joy to do anything.   What I would like is to have that same performance when I have 3 or 4 bases total on 2-3 different worlds.  Actually, I want that experience no matter how many bases I have, how big they are and how many worlds I have touched.  To me, that's job one, figure that out before solving the great hydrazine debate.

I agree. Need to fix the fps and I don't know if you've run into the syncing issue if you are playing with someone else where they don't see what you see and vice versa. After leaving Terran and going to radiated he couldn't see anything I was building at all and his world wad completely different from mine as far as the land itself where the caves and mountains were. At one point he was floating over a cave opening on my screen but said he was on solid ground on his screen... then the game crashed.

1. One does not need to use the fuel trade.

2. It is no way over powered let alone an exploit in early game or when you strand on a planet with few resources. you will still struggle to set it up.

3. It is a sandbox game. So let us play in our sandbox as we wish ;)

4. Even if they "nerf" the fuel trade, one can still set up more condensers and have the same amount in the same time. Maybe a combination of energy + organic -> fuel could make a difference. Just like the smelter, you get the idea. But then, if you are in a place w/o organic, you are doomed.

5. One does not need to use the fuel trade.

1 hour ago, barbarossa said:

It is a sandbox game. So let us play in our sandbox as we wish

+1

This 'exploit rage' topic comes up time and time again, and every single time I think to the OP "shutup and let people play the game the way they want too with what is allowed".

If the devs themselves decide to change things, then we adapt and play the game how we want again with what can be done. But to come in here and tell people how they should be playing the game by YOUR standards. No. Simply put.

I don't find the Fuel trading to be anything nefarious.  It's a game.. if you want to scavenge by walking around a dark cave all day, go for it.  If you want to build a cool economic trading base to accomplish the same thing, do it up.  I find that you actually do have to somewhat plan to make this time effective, so its not like it's totally mindless.  And you can't build all of this stuff right off the bat on a new character.

Just my opinion, but I don't like the trade platform or the fuel condenser, at least in their current forms. I refuse to call them an exploit though, because that sounds like cheating and I think that if something is in the game by design, then you should feel free to use it.

Anyway...

First the fuel condenser - I know it's a game and doesn't have to be scientifically accurate, but "magicing" rocket fuel out of thin air just with a bit of electricity seems a bit silly to me (yes I know, so does terraforming with a souped up leaf blower, but that's cool so I can live with that :)). Some have mentioned having to use organic to create the fuel. That sounds sensible - I mean what else is organic used for? Does anyone use the generator?

And the trade platform - maybe this could come into its own if this game becomes massively multiplayer and there's an in-game economy. But at the moment it just seems to make it too easy to get hold of rare resources. You want lithium for batteries? Better go and explore the solar system then! But no, you can stay where you are, hook up a shitload of fuel condensers and have your lithium on no time. Who's buying this hydrazine which is so easy to make anyway? I know the trade platform is useful when relocating to a new planet - for trading coal, titanium etc. for compound and resin, and I think that's a perfectly valid way of using it. But that just seems like a workaround to a problem which could have a better solution. What I'd like to see instead is a resource/cargo shuttle - similar to the trade platform, but it allows you to store and retrieve resources from your orbiting space station. That way you can land on a new planet, build your cargo shuttle bay and send for a delivery of compound/resin etc. At least you're not starting over again on a new planet - you'd get a better sense of progress as your game progresses and you build a stockpile of resources.

There's a massive thread on this subject somewhere down the line..

Personally, I don't really care, if you want to build 50 fuel condensers and run around them clicking all day, thinking you're winning somehow.. feel free.

I just use them to make fuel for my spaceship or shuttle.   I'll trade the odd coal or titanium or even copper/aluminium on a new landing sometimes, to get that 1 or 2 items I don't really want to go and get.  But otherwise, usually I just go and get.  Everyone has their own play style.. etc. 

But all that aside.. it really all means nothing.  The current fc/trader mechanics are very likely to be updated and all this discussion is kinda moot.  It's an early access game, how many times do people need to repeat this? It's not a released game.. if it was complain, hoohaa about it.. but it isn't.. so why are we even discussing it?

It really.. isn't important.  At All.

My only real gripe with it is that time they spend trying to balance it is time that is not being spent on something else.

Edited by erikinthebakery
so i can spel good