Tlasch771

Changes to how you navigate planets and choose which one to land on

Let me start out by saying I'm frustrated. I am stuck on an acidic world with no hydrozine anywhere. Grrr. Second of all, why do I have to wait 5-10 min for each planet to rotate into my fov before I can select it to land on. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea but in practice you are just making the player wait to land somewhere they already want to land. Why can I not just select any planet in my star system without waiting damn near an hour to get somewhere. Let alone I am now stuck on a planet I never intended to land on. Just saying let me pick the planet without waiting an hour.

1 hour ago, Tlasch771 said:

Let me start out by saying I'm frustrated. I am stuck on an acidic world with no hydrozine anywhere. Grrr. Second of all, why do I have to wait 5-10 min for each planet to rotate into my fov before I can select it to land on. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea but in practice you are just making the player wait to land somewhere they already want to land. Why can I not just select any planet in my star system without waiting damn near an hour to get somewhere. Let alone I am now stuck on a planet I never intended to land on. Just saying let me pick the planet without waiting an hour.

The general point of your post is something I've noticed a lot on these forums.  Some of the players (imo, probably young players), think the game is too hard.  I think this stems from the cartoony art style (which I absolutely love). 

The intention of the devs was to make a game with fun art style & game mechanics... while at the same time incorporating some real world science & navigation principles.  I think they have done a great job of that so far.

For example, your first statement about being stuck on a world with no Hydrazine... that possibility should have occurred to you before leaving in the first place.  So take along some extra Hydrazine, because you don't know what the environment will be like where you land.  Then you say you never intended to land there.  Which sounds like you simply misunderstood how the game mechanic works. 

As far as having to wait until a planet comes into range before it's selectable, I agree you should be able to select a planet at any time.  However, having to wait before actually burning the engines is due to some of that real world science I mentioned before. 

If you prepare by starting with a full tank of fuel and maybe taking some spare fuel, you can try the "planet hopping" technique to get to another planet faster.  It involves observing the planet orbits, then transferring to a planet that's between you and the planet you want to go to.  Of course, don't land on the in between planet, just stay in orbit then burn again to reach the destination planet.  If using the Spaceship with full fuel, you'll be able to make 2 or 3 hops (maybe more), AND land on destination planet.

First and foremost I have no idea where you get the idea that I am some "young" player. Second of all I understand the "realistic" approach. But you and me both know that this games science is far beyond real. I did bring enough fuel to "planet" hop, however I got stranded on another planet because the game stuck me in orbit on around an acidic planet as opposed to my home world with the last of my fuel. I don't understand how it happened but that was the bug.

I accept that bugs happen as this is a new game. I still think the mechanic of having to wait is pointless, as it only causes wasted time and a lack of enjoyment. Please tell me what about the experience of waiting for 6 planets to orbit wherever you are for 12 cycles before you can select an alternate planet to land on is exciting and stimulating? 

I play this game because I love sandbox games and to me this is the ultimate sandbox experience. There is no need to cut me down for sharing my experience and suggestions. 

If I have misinterpreted your words do forgive me, but your response came across as ridicule and that was totally unwarranted. If you were just sharing tips, maybe make less assumptions about what went wrong on my end and just offer your words, people are more inclined to respond positively when treated like human beings.

Edited by Tlasch771

You two are right on one point : the game mechanic of waiting for a planet to come close enough to hop is not really entertaining. :)

Keeping the "quite reallistic science", our space shuttle should start by orbiting the starting planet, and then let the player choose to launch the shuttle in a large orbit around the sun, just like we do when launching shuttles to far planets.

This type of mechanic will allow to check most of planets quickly before deciding to orbit a new planet.

12 minutes ago, Gwido said:

You two are right on one point : the game mechanic of waiting for a planet to come close enough to hop is not really entertaining. :)

Keeping the "quite reallistic science", our space shuttle should start by orbiting the starting planet, and then let the player choose to launch the shuttle in a large orbit around the sun, just like we do when launching shuttles to far planets.

This type of mechanic will allow to check most of planets quickly before deciding to orbit a new planet.

Now that's an idea I can totally side with!

6 hours ago, Tlasch771 said:

Don't you worry buddy, Hydrazine exist in all planet

You just have to look harder, and deeper

5 hours ago, Tlasch771 said:

First and foremost I have no idea where you get the idea that I am some "young" player.

There is no need to cut me down... came across as ridicule... treated like human beings.

I got stranded on another planet because the game stuck me in orbit on around an acidic planet as opposed to my home world with the last of my fuel. I don't understand how it happened but that was the bug. ...make less assumptions about what went wrong on my end...

To be fair, I did not say that you personally were young.  But I can see how you took it that way, so I apologize for the phrasing of that statement.

It was certainly not my intention to cut you down, ridicule you, or not treat you like a human being.  So again I apologize.

In your original post you did not mention that your situation was the result of a bug with the game, so I did not make any assumptions.   

5 hours ago, Gwido said:

Yes. This would be the best way to conserve fuel as well. The shuttle design would be limited in speed and likely have to slingshot around the sun (or moon) to get to the planet of choice. What if the developers added a rocket that was able to attain higher speeds and go straight from planet to planet?

6 hours ago, Pi_ said:

To be fair, I did not say that you personally were young.  But I can see how you took it that way, so I apologize for the phrasing of that statement.

It was certainly not my intention to cut you down, ridicule you, or not treat you like a human being.  So again I apologize.

In your original post you did not mention that your situation was the result of a bug with the game, so I did not make any assumptions.   

No worries Pi and sorry for taking it the wrong way!

6 hours ago, Pi_ said:

No worries Pi and sorry for taking it the wrong way!

So the concencus is (so far) that inter planetary travel needs to be reworked I'd love to see if there are any nay sayers, and what the devs think of the situation.

Another possible (and maybe even more realistic) approach would be to extend the range of the "ring" when you have more fuel. If I have a fully fueled space ship I should be able to travel further than the same ship almost empty.

21 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

Another possible (and maybe even more realistic) approach would be to extend the range of the "ring" when you have more fuel. If I have a fully fueled space ship I should be able to travel further than the same ship almost empty.

Technically the fuel doesn't determine how far you can go, since you don't slow down in space, it would determine how long you can accelerate. More fuel means a faster trip, but it would also require more fuel to slow down and land.

23 hours ago, Gwido said:

Agree.

10 hours ago, erikinthebakery said:

Isn't it how it works now?

9 hours ago, mikebgator said:

Technically the fuel doesn't determine how far you can go, since you don't slow down in space, it would determine how long you can accelerate. More fuel means a faster trip, but it would also require more fuel to slow down and land.

You are kind of wrong here. It would be so in static world or to fly some distance, you want to count. In dynamic world of orbiting planets you are forced to gain and lose velocity to change your orbit. So more "realistic" approach to space flight in my opinion would looks like this:

1. Surface to orbit - Mouse over launch icon shows needed fuel (by green color for ex.). Autopilot forbid you to launch if you have no fuel to land. Zoom control to change from planet surface view to orbits view.

2. Orbit to another orbit - Mouse over other planet or current planet's moon shows needed fuel (by green color for ex.). Fuel demand depends of orbits and positions. Dot lines to see trajectories. Autopilot forbid you to burn if you have no fuel to land.

3. Land - Zoom control to change from orbits view to planet surface view. Choose your place to land. Autopilot made sure you have fuel to land.

Also you can fly only between planets to planet and it's moons. No fly directly to /from other planet's moon. No sun orbit because no safe place to land.

Edited by Sad Brother

Regarding planetary travel and waiting time.. Have a little patience? It does add fuel economics into it because if you planet hop, it would cost fuel. 

I mean, do we really need more instant gratification for a game that lets you mine ores of metal by simply holding your mouse button down? 

I think there are two different issues (and here I attempt to summarise points made above) with respect to the planet hopping:

1. Fuel strategy - yes, make players gather enough fuel to make a certain hop, which may be long or short and require large or small amounts of fuel - this rewards mining efforts proportionately, 

but...

2. Get rid of the 'waiting for planets to get in range' aspect, which rewards no one - the gameplay manifestation of this is just staring at the screen. 

Sorry, but watching planets rotate and discovering that there is a range, was awesome and rewarding for me. 

Me and a friend kept waiting hoping for some rare super planet. Also, I'm hoping for a clean capture in the future as a screen saver. 

Fargo, I can totally appreciate your point of view seriously, it does make sense that you enjoy waiting for planets to come into. Range. If they kept this feature  I think it would be wise to include a difficulty setting which allows those with patience to wait and watch a planets rotate all day long to wait.

I am playing on Xbox one, navigate is still not quite accurate, and I cannot zoom in and out to see where I am going, so I have to wait upwards of 20 min just to see what's around so I can decide where I want to land. This is annoying. (Maybe I should have bought it on PC) but System Era needs testers on all platforms.

Marz I could not agree with you more, you have explained my points more accurately than I feel I have, thank you for that. If System Era wants to make a game that will sell well, the wait needs to either be reduced drastically or removed entirely. I love how Mass Effects planetary travel works, I know that they are working on a galactic scale, but even if Mass Effect was on a local scale, it still would have been enjoyable to fly and. Control a spaceship. 

One last point for Fargo, you mentioned that you like waiting for Rare planets, am I missing something or aren't all the same resources found on all planets but in varying amounts? Like acidic planets have rare metals, but I could just get them on my home Terrian planet by either using my Trade platform, or finding downed ships etc. I really wish there was something unique to find on other planets, because after a week I am starting to get bored of grinding and searching for the same supplies. Forgive me if I missed something, I am a new player.