Secret MC Shaman

XBOX 1 - Tips and Tricks

For XB1 Users....I am playing both PC and XBOX, but not seeing a lot of tip/tricks specifically for XBOX. Here are a few hard learned lessons of mine. 

I played for 5 hour last night...plus a few first trying out the game and super annoyed at having to open my BP to use the courser. It wasn't until I was about to close up shop for the night that I discovered holding LT brings up the courser with out opening your BP. Also, pressing down on the Right Stick allows you to pan in an out. Wish I would have figured it out before spending 20 minutes trying to get in just the right position to activate creating shuttle. Finally, holding LT while using your mining tool is a bit smoother (still some tweaking needed to that in my book)

Also, if you find you have the "Falling" through the world glitch, quickly logout and restart before you either hit bottom and die, or actually land in a cave with no way out. So far I've been able to save myself a lot of rework  after dying then loosing my pack (first time with lithium and titanium. 

i actually have a big cave that i made under my base for when i fall under the world, its saved me and my items many times. like one time i had a mobil storage full of lithium/ titanium/ coal and it just fell through the world but i had the big cave so i didnt lose them.

i have said this in many other threads:  with Xbox you have to periodically turn off, hard-off, the xbox.  i do it every time i want to play, if on all ready hold the power button, on console, for 8'ish seconds and / or unplug power cord.  the Xbox never really turns off, it is always in standby.  if you see the green xbox screen, then you have a fresh boot with cleared cache(s).

2 hours ago, NjalStorm said:

i have said this in many other threads:  with Xbox you have to periodically turn off, hard-off, the xbox.  i do it every time i want to play, if on all ready hold the power button, on console, for 8'ish seconds and / or unplug power cord.  the Xbox never really turns off, it is always in standby.  if you see the green xbox screen, then you have a fresh boot with cleared cache(s).

Good tip, thanks. Might explain why i get occasional "black outs" while playing other games where is blinks out to a black screen for 10 seconds before resuming the game. 

3 hours ago, derpsters44 said:

i actually have a big cave that i made under my base for when i fall under the world, its saved me and my items many times. like one time i had a mobil storage full of lithium/ titanium/ coal and it just fell through the world but i had the big cave so i didnt lose them.

Thanks for the tip. I can see how that would help at the base..not so much while out exploring. I personally am not overly fond of the Terra-Forming tool. It is a nice change from MC, but  it strafes too much and I am finding it difficult to control. In future updates it would be nice if recipes were added for the 3D printer so you can change from the circle to other "brushes" for lack of a better term. I haven't checked to see if the controller speeds can be adjusted yet. Thought about it last night but got fixated on connecting the rovers and the truck, then making storage units. 

24 minutes ago, Secret MC Shaman said:

Thanks for the tip. I can see how that would help at the base..not so much while out exploring. I personally am not overly fond of the Terra-Forming tool. It is a nice change from MC, but  it strafes too much and I am finding it difficult to control. In future updates it would be nice if recipes were added for the 3D printer so you can change from the circle to other "brushes" for lack of a better term. I haven't checked to see if the controller speeds can be adjusted yet. Thought about it last night but got fixated on connecting the rovers and the truck, then making storage units. 

if you're on xbox you can slow down the tool by pressing LT but i cant wait until they let me change my sensitivity.

2 minutes ago, derpsters44 said:

if you're on xbox you can slow down the tool by pressing LT but i cant wait until they let me change my sensitivity.

Agreed, I found using LT and going into 1st person helps a little...drawback is you can't see your power or oxygen supply. I've ran out of both because I pushed things past the point of no return. More control will lead to more creative structures and bases...something Astroneers is lacking at the moment. MC's ability to engage different interest set...like creative building, mod scripts, mini-games, etc....I absolutely love the color pallet and the graphics. I am hoping System Era follows through with their mission statement. 

5 minutes ago, Secret MC Shaman said:

Agreed, I found using LT and going into 1st person helps a little...drawback is you can't see your power or oxygen supply. I've ran out of both because I pushed things past the point of no return. More control will lead to more creative structures and bases...something Astroneers is lacking at the moment. MC's ability to engage different interest set...like creative building, mod scripts, mini-games, etc....I absolutely love the color pallet and the graphics. I am hoping System Era follows through with their mission statement. 

If you've checked out the road map they have "creative mode" is listed in there somewhere, i think the devs also think it would be a good idea to hand full control to the player. they also have planned to add mods but i think thats only steam and windows 10

I am sure this is somewhere else and not new to many of the Advanced Members..but a suggestion for the other Newbs to Astroneers if you haven't already though about it.

You can recollect your Tether stands and attach them back on your pack (which ever method you prefer). Having played MC heavily for the last 4 years it never dawned on me to collect Tether stands since MC junkies discard torches with out a thought. When out adventuring with your Truck and Rover picking up the 3 or 4 stand you may use to connect your life line to the vehicle saves a lot of time hunting for more Common that can be used on cooling items. 

If you are holding something that fits in your main 8 slots, you can press x to send it straight there. If you have tethers in the upper left corner of the main 8 slots, you can put back ones you pick up the same way. 

SMOOTHING TOOL TIP...

I figured this out on the PC version last night...and my son said it worked well on the XB1 verison. The add and remove aspect is still less than user friendly; however,  think of the smoothing tool as a "copy tool" and move slowly from a flat area outward. Before setting up your initial base, you might want to consider your first challenge when starting a site to be terraforming the area around your habitat so it is large enough to accommodate all your stations so you know they are spawning in on a relatively flat and even surface. I makes getting around with a vehicle easy later.  

On ‎27‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 6:51 AM, Secret MC Shaman said:

Finally, holding LT while using your mining tool is a bit smoother (still some tweaking needed to that in my book)

If you hold down the LT then hit X to bring out the tool it will attach to the curser even after you let go of the LT