Norm Clark

A Plea From a Happy Dad

Please, Please finish making this game. Please. 

I just want to share with the developers the experience that I have had while playing their game with my sons.

I have three boys. 16, 12 and 5. It is impossible to find a game we all can play. Astroneer is a gaming experience for us that we have been looking for. We play a lot of games together. We shoot each other; we dunk on each other, we tackle each other.

This is different. It changes the whole atmosphere and our interactions while playing. We work as a team, we are relaxed, but we get excited. We all have a job, we talk it out, make a plan, and then we each do what we are good at. We look after each other, we share. There is something exciting about us all jumping in a truck and going looking for research so we can build a spaceship. I could go on and on. 

The only frustration or yelling that goes on is when the game bugs out. :) Regardless of how buggy the experience has been, (I get that it is not a real release yet) and I don't know how many times we have had to scrap our game and start over because the host gets stuck in a seat, or a habitat, we keep going back. We start from scratch and build it up again. 

I'm not sure of your intentions, but I can tell you that you are on to something. We have truly had a blast with your game, and look forward to seeing what else you have in store. So far I think your are starting a revolution in family gaming. I really mean that. 

As far as bugs go. When the host gets stuck in a seat its a problem. We have to start over from there. I'm sure you have heard :)

8 hours ago, Norm Clark said:

I just want to share with the developers the experience that I have had while playing their game with my sons.

I have three boys. 16, 12 and 5. It is impossible to find a game we all can play. Astroneer is a gaming experience for us that we have been looking for. We play a lot of games together. We shoot each other; we dunk on each other, we tackle each other.

This is different. It changes the whole atmosphere and our interactions while playing. We work as a team, we are relaxed, but we get excited. We all have a job, we talk it out, make a plan, and then we each do what we are good at. We look after each other, we share. There is something exciting about us all jumping in a truck and going looking for research so we can build a spaceship. I could go on and on. 

The only frustration or yelling that goes on is when the game bugs out. :) Regardless of how buggy the experience has been, (I get that it is not a real release yet) and I don't know how many times we have had to scrap our game and start over because the host gets stuck in a seat, or a habitat, we keep going back. We start from scratch and build it up again. 

I'm not sure of your intentions, but I can tell you that you are on to something. We have truly had a blast with your game, and look forward to seeing what else you have in store. So far I think your are starting a revolution in family gaming. I really mean that. 

As far as bugs go. When the host gets stuck in a seat its a problem. We have to start over from there. I'm sure you have heard :)

Well said @Norm Clark!  I play this game with my son too and we have far more interaction / fun with Astroneer than when we play other games.  (he loves to pull my seat off when I am in it ... makes for a sad dad but a happy son :)

21 hours ago, Norm Clark said:

This made me really excited to share this gaming gem with my future kids, no matter how far into the future that might be.

It's funny, I've never been stuck in a seat or habitat.. but I let my 14 yr old son play astroneer and it took him about 10 minutes to get stuck in the habitat.

Personally, I hope they don't "finish" the game. One of the HUGE draws to MC...( and yes, you will always be compared to the #1 Sandbox Game) were the multiple facets of interest it provided.  Allowing MODs, adding "creative mode" or at least enhancing the ability TO be creative through terrain manipulation, resource recipes, customizing characters and equipment by harvesting resources, looking forward to regular updates, creating mini-games, etc.... will make this already awesome game even better. 

Welcome to Astroneer, @Norm Clark !

I am a strong believer in teamwork + survival mechanic that allow everyone participating to do something. Be creative and think of things to do.  I like to find new things to do - such as building monuments, or bridges between mountains, and make sure trucks or rovers can travel up there without flipping.

Build four trucks. Try to ride as a group through the cavern undergrounds, and careful not to drive each other while clearing the path, etc. It's a fun survival game when one is in danger, your instinct to save the others kick in.