Sign in to follow this  
underwurldchris

Big Solar panels - how to use one?

you need to use a rover 

connect 1 side of the rover to the base and 1 side to the solar panel 

i like to dig mine in so they dont move also take a good look at sun and the direction the sun moves to maximise usage 

20170105022035_1.jpg

20170105022255_1.jpg

Connecting the rover can be tricky. Often you have to build a hill under the panel to make the panel more vertical, so that the connection option appears between it and the rover.

Once you have them connected, you can destroy the hill and let the panel sit flat again.

Is that possible?? you connected it to an empty expansion? or you connected it to the printer or other bay?

You can turn them to face the sun, speckled side, using your astroneer, don't need to use rover etc.  Just walk into it.  When in place, terraform around it to hold it up and in place.  Then connect rover to it and to a module to power base.

ive also had storms knock into the rover and the rover disconnected from it when it was moved enough after rocks hit it.

I build a couple of berms around my rover to provide shelter for them.  They deflect most of the  storm away from the rovers. Nothing I have done will stop the rovers from bouncing when I log in though.

Last night i found one in my new save, so i just put it in a hole with the rover underground and bury the rover and the lower part of the solar panel. It is best to bury the panel deep on the ground or when you try to cover it with the terraforming tool the panel start to bunny hop out of the hole.

I will post a screenshot later.

Edited by kioga

I had mine connected, but when I updated to 119 it got bumped around and disconnected from the rover and now I can't get it to work again...

On 1/24/2017 at 2:28 PM, AutoMcD said:

It's a lot more trouble than it's worth! Especially with the storms kicking the rover and panel around..

Is it worth it in general just yet? Does this provide more power...or even store power? I have limited play time so haven't tried dragging this thing back to base yet. 
How fast does it charge the large batteries? Is if faster than the solar panels you can print? I can see it being a nice addition if/when domes are added, but right now it looks like "busy work" and doesn't add a lot more to the game?