Recommended Posts

This game is amazing and wonderful, but for being an exploration game, it seems oddly restricting. If you leave your base, you may never be able to find it again, so a map would be nice, and that would make all the difference to how I play the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ducus10000 said:

This game is amazing and wonderful, but for being an exploration game, it seems oddly restricting. If you leave your base, you may never be able to find it again, so a map would be nice, and that would make all the difference to how I play the game.

...restricting...?

Not sure what you mean. Your problem with the game being too restricting will probably diminish with time as the developer(s) add more content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Galapagew said:

...restricting...?

Not sure what you mean. Your problem with the game being too restricting will probably diminish with time as the developer(s) add more content.

By restricting I mean you are kind of forced to stay at your base because if you are too far from base, it disappears from your markers. You could argue that you could take note of which direction base is, but that seems like a lot of work.

Edited by ducus10000
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ducus10000 said:

By restricting I mean you are kind of forced to stay at your base because if you are too far from base, it disappears from your markers. You could argue that you could take note of which direction base is, but that seems like a lot of work.

I mean... It's just keeping track of the base. You could also use the compass that appears at your feet when you mouse over your character. You could also use tethers to keep track of your base (also it's kind of essential to keeping a steady supply of oxygen). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Galapagew said:

I mean... It's just keeping track of the base. You could also use the compass that appears at your feet when you mouse over your character. You could also use tethers to keep track of your base (also it's kind of essential to keeping a steady supply of oxygen). 

I was thinking for, like long rover/truck trips. How could you find your way back without the compass system or a map?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ducus10000 said:

This game is amazing and wonderful, but for being an exploration game, it seems oddly restricting. If you leave your base, you may never be able to find it again, so a map would be nice, and that would make all the difference to how I play the game.

Yes and no. Some survival games have maps while others do not. For example, the ultimate / first open sandbox survival game MineCraft doesn't have a map--at least at the beginning. In order to get a map of sorts in that game you have to do all manner of crafting and such. That's why in MineCraft you learn very early on to build piles of sand into the sky with a torch on them to use as a beacon. This game has beacons from the very beginning made of compound. I think the expectation is that you will use the beacons to help you get around.

Now, with all this being said, I quickly installed a map add-on in MineCraft. If this game doesn't get a map, I doubt I will play it much. I tend to get lost a TON. Without a map, this game isn't really all that fun for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Memorizing the geographical details of the area. I mean, unless you go off adventuring willy nilly you probably will get lost and never find your base. But, if you slowly explore and develop your knowledge of the surrounding area, and familiarize yourself with the nearby terrain, navigating around the world without getting lost would become a breeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, garath said:

Yes and no. Some survival games have maps while others do not. For example, the ultimate / first open sandbox survival game MineCraft doesn't have a map--at least at the beginning. In order to get a map of sorts in that game you have to do all manner of crafting and such. That's why in MineCraft you learn very early on to build piles of sand into the sky with a torch on them to use as a beacon. This game has beacons from the very beginning made of compound. I think the expectation is that you will use the beacons to help you get around.

Now, with all this being said, I quickly installed a map add-on in MineCraft. If this game doesn't get a map, I doubt I will play it much. I tend to get lost a TON. Without a map, this game isn't really all that fun for me. 

Even beacons disappear from the markers eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ducus10000 said:

I was thinking for, like long rover/truck trips. How could you find your way back without the compass system or a map?

Memorizing the geographical details of the area. I mean, unless you go off adventuring willy nilly you probably will get lost and never find your base. But, if you slowly explore and develop your knowledge of the surrounding area, and familiarize yourself with the nearby terrain, navigating around the world without getting lost would become a breeze.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ducus10000 said:

Even beacons disappear from the markers eventually.

True. I think they say you have to string them along. So, you have to travel far enough that you can't see the beacon and then plant another one. When I first tried the game, I thought the beacons could always be seen from any distance. Nope. *sigh*

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Galapagew said:

Memorizing the geographical details of the area. I mean, unless you go off adventuring willy nilly you probably will get lost and never find your base. But, if you slowly explore and develop your knowledge of the surrounding area, and familiarize yourself with the nearby terrain, navigating around the world without getting lost would become a breeze.

 

Personally, I get lost driving home from work and have been driving the same route for 20+ years. I'm glad you have a sense of direction. Me, not so much. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, when you go through the fuss to construct the beacon, I don't know why the developers would make it disappear after going a long way away. Isn't that the point of a beacon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Galapagew said:

Yeah, when you go through the fuss to construct the beacon, I don't know why the developers would make it disappear after going a long way away. Isn't that the point of a beacon?

Maybe to make it realistic. The planet is a sphere, and realistically, if you are on the absolute opposite end of the planet, there is no way you would be able to see a beacon that is floating up in the air when it is blocked by the entire planet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ducus10000 said:

If you leave your base, you may never be able to find it again, so a map would be nice, and that would make all the difference to how I play the game.

Agreed. I too would love a map

Also, if you can't find your base just commit suicide 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to use beacons. Now I just create a huge pillar with the deform tool. Next to that I put two small pillars, so the whole thing forms a triangle pointing home.

As long as I can see the next pillar, I can always find my way home. And the triangle approach fixed the problem I had with too many beacons and not being able to tell which one would get me home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I travel in any large direction from my base I use the terrain tool to make a decently tall spire with a node of dirt pointing in the direction I came from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, ducus10000 said:

If you leave your base, you may never be able to find it again, so a map would be nice, and that would make all the difference to how I play the game.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, ducus10000 said:

By restricting I mean you are kind of forced to stay at your base because if you are too far from base, it disappears from your markers.

 

The reason there is no map in the game by default, is because the whole solar system is unexplored.  That's the whole point of Astroneer.  In other words, a map can only be created if an area is explored first.  You are in no way forced to stay at your base.  That's why the game gives you the ability to make beacons right from the start.  The only thing you are forced to do is realize that you have landed on a planet which is spherical in shape.  So if you travel too far over the horizon, of course you will lose sight of the base & beacon markers.

 

A technique I use is creating a ramp with terrain tool, like 20 or 30 meters high.  Walk up the ramp and place your beacon at the top.  This will allow it to be seen from a farther distance over the horizon.  Sometimes the clouds will block your view of the base & beacon markers,  even while standing at the top of the ramp.  So do yourself a favor and build the ramp to point in the direction of your base.

 

I understand the fact there is not currently a mapping system in the game to benefit from your exploration.  Maybe add your map idea to one of the existing threads in the Suggestions & Ideas forum.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead