Torgado

Please reduce oxygen consumption speed by 50% (gameplay balance)

I don't think this game needs any kind of tutorial outside of the controls (although a simple 'hey, press Escape and look in Controls for some useful key bindings, thanks. have fun!' would be just enough, as most people think this menu option is for changing key bindings and so aren't really drawn into looking at it. Hell maybe even have that controls screen pop up when someone first starts the game and a reminder that they can always find it in the Escape menu would be just fine honestly.)

I don't really care how badly some players might struggle with learning the concepts of this game, it is quite honestly one of the most intuitive and easy to pick up games I've ever played. Everything is feedback driven, barely any UI to get lost in or miss things, there are some little things that you might not know unless maybe you watched a few youtube videos or the devs streams before playing for the first time but you learn as you go, maybe making some mistakes but you're learning by trying things out, testing ,experimenting and that's what I love about this game.

And even though I don't care so much about players having real difficulty with navigating the game concepts, I still would rather them learn the usefulness of extra capacities by playing and noticing their suit reserves maybe deplete a little too fast for their personal liking (i personally think the oxygen tank is pointless as oxygen is pretty much everywhere and I often find myself even dropping oxygen because of that fact, a battery is a lot more useful but still, you could just build a couple or more Big batteries back at base/on your vehicle and tether up which I learned by often not having enough energy to dig out an entire resource deposit or not enough to flatten or build up a certain area when terraforming)

I'd much rather a struggling player turn his struggles into knowledge that maybe more infrastructure is a good idea before venturing out far, get those power producers up and running and some Big batteries to have a nice stock of energy and a Small battery in the pack so you have more capacity to utilise those energy deposits that you find.

I'd really rather that than 'Awesome, I'm playing this cool new game! Oh look, two decent upgrades for free straight away with no effort from my end and no context whatsoever other than handholding! :D'

I as well feel like the 02 levels right now are fine. Difficulty settings would be nice, as mentioned above, but after an hour or two of playing, oxygen became less of an issue, if not one at all. It made me feel accomplished to see how far I've come in terms of struggling to survive.

5 minutes ago, Daroguetoaster said:

I as well feel like the 02 levels right now are fine. Difficulty settings would be nice, as mentioned above, but after an hour or two of playing, oxygen became less of an issue, if not one at all. It made me feel accomplished to see how far I've come in terms of struggling to survive.

You know, after playing for a little while, getting the tank, getting a rover, oxygen really isn't the problem it was.

Maybe this is just intentional gameplay.  Feels sort of like:

Act 1:   Survive

Act 2:   Aquisition of technology

Act 3:   Exploration

Act 4:   Next planet, rinse/repeat

I think oxygen consumption levels are just fine too, and here is why:

• It immediately shows you that the planet you are on is dangerous
  • It anchors you to the base, and forces you to actually build up the base
  • It prevents you from wandering off, forgetting about oxygen, dying far away from the base and losing all your inventory
  • Only after you have figured out research, printing, etc can you extend your oxygen supply and start to roam more freely

So kudos to the developers for creating a mechanic which essentially guides the player without a tutorial!

Edited by eobet

1 hour ago, eobet said:

I think oxygen consumption levels are just fine too, and here is why:

• It immediately shows you that the planet you are on is dangerous
  • It anchors you to the base, and forces you to actually build up the base
  • It prevents you from wandering off, forgetting about oxygen, dying far away from the base and losing all your inventory
  • Only after you have figured out research, printing, etc can you extend your oxygen supply and start to roam more freely

So kudos to the developers for creating a mechanic which essentially guides the player without a tutorial!

You don't even need the printing! You can get research set up and get a Titanium from it and voila, you get a tank! :P

14 hours ago, Torgado said:

Please reduce oxygen consumption.  Oxygen is used too fast.

Yes, we have tethers and yes we can build tanks to add to backpack.

It still seems oxygen is consumed just too fast for an exploration type of game.  

Reducing oxygen consumption speed by 50% would allow for a little more exploration time, but not so much we ignore the need for the other tech.

I second this too.

In real space suits, you get hours and hours of oxygen. Maybe the time scale is sped up in the game. I mean a day is like 20-30 mins. But in reality oxygen shouldn't be an issue. I feel a tank should give you 20 fold the oxygen. Like the suit is all you have but an oxygen tank can compress and hold a lot of oxygen. 

Or maybe different materials make different tanks. Compound makes it 100% extra oxygen. Resin is same. Then aluminum and copper is 250% and titanium is 500%

they will add creative mode or "god mode" or at least its planned.

For diffculties that is something they might add later.

else yes the oxygen right now is about right.

either use vehicle or something else if you want to go further...

also a balance on exploring and gathering/managing should maybe be better later on.
as much evolve too much around the building aspects/base then actually exploring the world.

6 hours ago, Skwerl23 said:

In real space suits, you get hours and hours of oxygen. Maybe the time scale is sped up in the game. I mean a day is like 20-30 mins. But in reality oxygen shouldn't be an issue. I feel a tank should give you 20 fold the oxygen. Like the suit is all you have but an oxygen tank can compress and hold a lot of oxygen. 

Well the consumption rate isn't about reality it's about creating engaging gameplay.  You should always feel like you have just slightly less than you need so you're always improving your methods, and as you get better you do more things and take more risks you need more resources like oxygen.  As someone said earlier, 

13 hours ago, fidgetwidget said:

The challenge at the outset is inflated because you don't know what anything does, or where to find any of the resources you need to create what you're chasing next. Explaining a few of the games basics in a separate tutorial stage (kind of like how minecraft on consoles has) could get players who have that first free hour to try it to take the leap and buy it. 

I never felt like I was unable to do things because I lacked oxygen, I only ever felt that I needed to learn how to use my oxygen better to make it last.  Slightly more instruction on tethers and tanks would definitely be helpful to any player coming in completely blind and I would be surprised if the devs didn't tweak the rate a bit to get it perfect, but significantly reducing it outright would eliminate a lot of the drive to explore and improve because oxygen is the first resource you need to master.

Edited by CherubimCW

21 hours ago, Torgado said:

Please reduce oxygen consumption.  Oxygen is used too fast.

Yes, we have tethers and yes we can build tanks to add to backpack.

It still seems oxygen is consumed just too fast for an exploration type of game.  

Reducing oxygen consumption speed by 50% would allow for a little more exploration time, but not so much we ignore the need for the other tech.

In my opinion you just not using game mechanics correctly. You can fit your backpack with craftable O2 cans, up to 8 if you really want, alongside the use of tether systems. Currently without upgrades or tether your O2 should be very limited, it helps prompt your approach (mentioned above) and gives that element of risk to leave your tether and run for a crashed ship in the distance. I think it should tick by faster, i've yet to suffocate and only died due to falling or poison. 

What about oxygen requires an oxygenator that requires Power. You start out with maybe an hour of oxygen in your base. And if you don't make an oxygenator and power to support it, you'll suffocate. As, where the heck is the oxygen coming from? Why does my car provide unlimited oxygen? And maybe some planets have more than others. Maybe the starting planet has oxygen(too little to breath but is enough for the habitat to pull out of the air) but the radiated ones need an oxygenator etc...

What about oxygen requires an oxygenator that requires Power. You start out with maybe an hour of oxygen in your base. And if you don't make an oxygenator and power to support it, you'll suffocate. As, where the heck is the oxygen coming from? Why does my car provide unlimited oxygen? And maybe some planets have more than others. Maybe the starting planet has oxygen(too little to breath but is enough for the habitat to pull out of the air) but the radiated ones need an oxygenator etc...

1 hour ago, Skwerl23 said:

One of the devs said something about this in a video, at least the parts about different planets have differing ease of oxygen filtering. In the same video, they were on a version of the game where whenever you weren't connected to your base by tether, your oxygen tank wouldn't actually go down straight away because your suit started using energy to keep your oxygen topped up, so your energy would drain and when empty you would start to see your oxygen drain.

I think going back to this system would further incentivise teching up and expansion, making useful upgrades to the suit like extra batteries and tanks and maybe even spare tanks you could fill up using the oxygen deposits found scattered around and leave the filled tanks at stops on your exploration route or at intersections of the cave you're exploring to free up storage space and then quickly go back and grab them if you need to. Making the oxygen deposits a bit more useful other than a last resort for when you ran out of tethers would be cool IMO.

Placing empty tanks on the slots of those renewable oxygen nodes would turn them into a kind of 'oxygen stop' on your travels, swapping out your empty tank for their filled one and letting the oxygen generate into the tank while you are exploring elsewhere.