Torgado

Please reduce oxygen consumption speed by 50% (gameplay balance)

Please reduce oxygen consumption.  Oxygen is used too fast.

Yes, we have tethers and yes we can build tanks to add to backpack.

It still seems oxygen is consumed just too fast for an exploration type of game.  

Reducing oxygen consumption speed by 50% would allow for a little more exploration time, but not so much we ignore the need for the other tech.

Yeah, please don't do this :D

Maybe a softcore mode for people who don't want to worry about survival.

But personally I think the oxygen mechanic is too easy currently.

I could go either way, I do think it'd be cool to have different difficulty settings:

1. Survival (Hardest & Most unforgiving, 3 lives or maybe perma-death?)
  2. Hard (Very Challenging, faster oxygen & power consumption, more resources required to build facilities)
  3. Normal (as it is today)
  4. Explorer (For those who like some survival challenge but want to explore more)
  5. Creative/Builder (no oxygen/power consumption for those who just want to modify terrain and goof off)

Once you unlock filters or make more tanks, oxygen is much less of an issue. Maybe making filters and power cells available from the start? Give the player one of each at the start? 

I like how you can attach power to your pack without it taking up a slot, maybe give a spot for a tank or battery too?

Personally, on the starting planet, oxygen seems a bit too rich. But that is fine if other planets are rougher. There's oxygen all over caves, you don't have to manage oxygen on vehicles or bases at all. 

It might be cool to have planets that have oxygen in the atmosphere that suites can filter with a slotted item or something. 

Just now, fidgetwidget said:

I like how you can attach power to your pack without it taking up a slot

What do you mean?

Just now, Nafen said:

What do you mean?

You have two spots at the top of your backpack that solar or wind power can attach. Maybe add a spot below them on the sides of the pack that support either a battery or tank.

Just now, fidgetwidget said:

You have two spots at the top of your backpack that solar or wind power can attach. Maybe add a spot below them on the sides of the pack that support either a battery or tank.

The way the game is now, I just attach big solars, wind turbines, generators and batteries to the base and then tether everywhere. So those side slots just end up as further resource storage haha.

1 minute ago, Nafen said:

The way the game is now, I just attach big solars, wind turbines, generators and batteries to the base and then tether everywhere. So those side slots just end up as further resource storage haha.

Yep, but the side slots would act like the top ones in that they would be restricted to certain items. It would give the player a couple slots to upgrade their pack with, without tanking up storage which is at such a premium.

9 minutes ago, Nafen said:

But the top slots aren't restricted

The slots that power generators go? Not any of the 8 storage slots, they are above and outside of those.

3 minutes ago, fidgetwidget said:

The slots that power generators go? Not any of the 8 storage slots, they are above and outside of those.

Yeah, those slots.  You can slap anything in them, but you have to do it manually.  Resources won't get put there automatically even if they are empty, but you can put anything there yourself.

Edited by CherubimCW

17 minutes ago, CherubimCW said:

Yeah, those slots.  You can slap anything in them, but you have to do it manually.  Resources won't get put there automatically even if they are empty, but you can put anything there yourself.

Only issue I have with those slots is oxygen tanks won't provide oxygen or refill while in them (for me at least) not sure if it's intended like they should be used for power and not oxygen or if it's a bug or they just forgot to code those for oxygen transfer.

I just checked and you're right.  Oxygen tanks and Filter don't work at all when in the equipment slots but work fine when in inventory slots.  You should submit that to the bug section.  (If you don't I will soon)

Neat! I think anything but power going there is a bug... I know in interviews, they have always said there are 8 slots on your backpack for stuff. This would like that 10.

2 hours ago, Torgado said:

I could go either way, I do think it'd be cool to have different difficulty settings:

2. Hard (Very Challenging, faster oxygen & power consumption, more resources required to build facilities)
  4. Explorer (For those who like some survival challenge but want to explore more)
  5. Creative/Builder (no oxygen/power consumption for those who just want to modify terrain and goof off)

I really like the idea of different difficulty levels. I'd especially like the perma-death option. I've been playing Don't Starve recently, and when you have a game that is so simplistic in its goal -just survive - having such an extreme consequence for failing that goal makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Onikoroshi

I think that oxygen capacity is perfectly fine. Oxygen tank greatly increases your total oxygen capacity but try two of them. I'm running with two oxygen tanks and I don't use tethers anymore because these two tanks are enough for me to explore caves for resources. I also have one compound just in case to craft emergency filters, I did it just once but that once saved me from death. After playing some time with two oxygen tanks all the time I see suit's oxygen more as a reserve. Availability of pure oxygen in caves also helps.

Oxygen tanks and batteries let you customize your backpack to what you need. If you want to be able to go around exploring more without spamming tethers, oxygen tanks are great. If you find yourself limited by oxygen, get some tanks. If these 1-2 less slots also hurt, you can bring your hover at cave entrance and put storage in convenient place(eg. first cave intersection). I tried once 4 oxygen tanks for going on a long trip and it took ages to deplete my oxygen. If you want to run around the planet exploring things, you can get even more of them but for longer trips you really need a rover or truck. Your vehicle is very important thing if you want to go for long trips, you should never leave your base without it if you know that your maximum oxygen capacity(main + tanks) won't be enough. 

Oxygen is currently balanced in my eyes.

So far this game is way better than No Man's Sky. I will say it sucks having to always go back for oxygen and by doing so hinders your enjoyment of exploration. So I would say either create the level difficulties for players to choose from or increase our oxygen time limit before it runs out. Give is more time. When I first started playing this game I noticed I had to figure out alot of things on my own and with the help of a friend who had played this before me. There's not much of a tutorial or help guild when you first get started so having enough oxygen like an extra oxygen tank would be a plus. 

1 hour ago, Gon said:

After playing some time with two oxygen tanks all the time I see suit's oxygen more as a reserve. 

I really think the solution here is to communicate this fact better to the player. It's why I think giving the player a beacon at the outset that puts in their path a fallen backpack with a couple items like these to let them know what kinds of things a player might want to have on them as they explore.

Maybe you're given a beacon to find a crash site that gives the player a pop up tutorial screen along the way in a comic book style (with no text)
- Landing: show the beacon, show that there is a crash site there, and that there is something useful to find there.
- Crash Site: an astroneers backpack with a battery and tank, a research item, wishing you had a rover
- Back at the habitat: Building nodes and structure platforms. Build a research station to research the item you found at the crash site.

Of course these things could be optional and skipped if the player wants to, but having them could really help new players.

I recently suffocated. I was lost at the time. I got it in my head that, even though it would be easier to spend my time replacing the few resources I lost, it would be fun to find that corpse. I ended up walking the surface of the planet for about 4 real hours. During that time I used the oxygen-producing crystal structures, oxygen found on the ground, and components for filters to keep myself from suffocating again. I didn't even know what filters did when I got started, but after a while it was pretty easy to survive. Also, it presented a fun challenge that was unique within the game. I wouldn't have been challenged much if oxygen consumption were lessened, even a little bit. Once you get over the hurdle of figuring out how to keep breathing, it seems quite balanced.

5 hours ago, Torgado said:

Just, this, perfect! but survival should have no death limits and hard is permdeath if you have no capsule on the planet or within a certain range, along with the other difficulty enhancers. Now if only we had beacons which worked thru ground or the ability to freaking know where home is no matter where we are on planet

2 hours ago, fidgetwidget said:

I really think the solution here is to communicate this fact better to the player. It's why I think giving the player a beacon at the outset that puts in their path a fallen backpack with a couple items like these to let them know what kinds of things a player might want to have on them as they explore.

Maybe you're given a beacon to find a crash site that gives the player a pop up tutorial screen along the way in a comic book style (with no text)
- Landing: show the beacon, show that there is a crash site there, and that there is something useful to find there.
- Crash Site: an astroneers backpack with a battery and tank, a research item, wishing you had a rover
- Back at the habitat: Building nodes and structure platforms. Build a research station to research the item you found at the crash site.

Of course these things could be optional and skipped if the player wants to, but having them could really help new players.

On the subject of different difficulty modes I'd call a feature like this part of 'Baby mode' :P honestly, pointing the player to a place they can pick up a tank AND A battery on the offset of a new world? Then the rewarding feeling when you get your first lithium or titanium and make one yourself will be completely lost in my opinion. I do agree that more communication about oxygen loss would be nice but this could be as simple as a blue minus whenever your oxygen goes down, with the minuses popping up faster if your oxygen is depleting faster (sprinting for example).

2 hours ago, Orange said:

Just, this, perfect! but survival should have no death limits and hard is permdeath if you have no capsule on the planet or within a certain range, along with the other difficulty enhancers. Now if only we had beacons which worked thru ground or the ability to freaking know where home is no matter where we are on planet

Beacons do work through the ground to some extent, I put one inside a cave where there was a lot of ore that I had to leave behind and the beacon still showed when I was back home so maybe it goes only so far vertically as well as horizontal, in this case you could build multiple beacons at certain junctions to mark the way in and out of a deep cave (or use tethers and terraforming to shape recogniseable junctions)

3 minutes ago, Nafen said:

On the subject of different difficulty modes I'd call a feature like this part of 'Baby mode' :P honestly, pointing the player to a place they can pick up a tank AND A battery on the offset of a new world?

As the game is now, the starting planet is super easy for anyone who knows the basic flow of the game. You can get a lithium AND a titanium in the first 30 minuets easily. Knowing why you would want a tank or battery however are not effectively explained - and I think most players would choose the inventory slots over them without knowing how useful they are. 

The challenge at the outset is inflated because you don't know what anything does, or where to find any of the resources you need to create what you're chasing next. Explaining a few of the games basics in a separate tutorial stage (kind of like how minecraft on consoles has) could get players who have that first free hour to try it to take the leap and buy it. 

I'm pretty happy with where it is right now. I might agree that your initial O2 supply should be a little more resilient and the tanks add a little less per tank (netting a similar total time as now which is pretty reasonable once you start working from a vehicle) as the initial 02 does run out very quickly. It's worth keeping in mind that if 02 and energy in caves stay as plentiful as they are now, your exploration time underground is pretty solid.