The deformation tool needs a smoothing option

The add, subtract, and flatten all are nice and work well, but a smoothing option would really help complete the tool. 

It would allow for better sculpting and base building using the terrain.

Also it would be really nice for cleaning up messes from the mining and around the base. 

There's a big different between flatten and smooth. 

Flatten picks one specific angle and makes everything that angle.

Smoothing averages out an area. 

I see where you are coming from but I don't like this idea.

Sometimes my ocd strikes when something is not perfectly smooth or does not fit into the set of the game.
This being said the whole game is somewhat cornered and not perfectly smooth as you see little corner nudging out everywhere (as los as you don't flatten it).

So introducing this function into the game I think it would "corrupt" the games atmosphere and therefore destroy the aesthetics.

Quarit over and out.

@Quarit, I mostly want a smoothing tool to be able to make things look more like the natural landscape more quickly, not to make it look artificial. I spend 2 minutes adding, subtracting, and flattening to get the result I want, but I could have done the same thing in 5 seconds with a smooth tool. 

I'm also frustrated when I miss click or try to make a flattened slope match with the terrain, it just takes so much longer to do because there isn't a smoothing tool. 

I couldn't agree more.

My landing craft ended up in a crevice. Expanding the base was an absolute nightmare. Needs a tool that you can carve out neat sections, flatten areas, create roads and rooms etc.

1 hour ago, ZacD said:

There's a big different between flatten and smooth. 

Flatten picks one specific angle and makes everything that angle.

Smoothing averages out an area. 

This I think this is the right Idea. The smooth option would improve ramp building up or down a cliff

56 minutes ago, ArchQuantum said:

This I think this is the right Idea. The smooth option would improve ramp building up or down a cliff

Actually, the flatten works really well for building ramps, since it uses whatever angle  you start it on. Start at the angle you want for your ramp, and go slowly outward, and it will make the terrain at that angle. I've used it a lot for making it easier to get in and out of steep parts of caves. :)

Yup, the flatten works well for ramps once you get it going at the angle you want, although it's hard to smooth off the bottom and top of ramps to get a good clean transition. 

Only played it on the Xbox at the moment and the controller isn't precise enough to continuously move any of the terrain tools, I have to dab at the terrain.  A smooth would really help with this.

1 hour ago, Daenny said:

Only played it on the Xbox at the moment and the controller isn't precise enough to continuously move any of the terrain tools, I have to dab at the terrain.  A smooth would really help with this.

I think a solution to both problems is being able to slow down the deform tools existing functions a few different ways. 

Making the tool affect a larger area, but at a much slower rate is another thing some have asked for. So maybe just being able to adjust the area, speed, and function of the tool would give you better control when you need it.

I think this is a great idea, and could be expanded upon by making upgrades for you tool, then swapping them as needed.  It would be a little cumbersome to carry all the 'heads' you would need, but that would also make the pay off better.

I keep trying to get so used to the tool that I can smooth an area without this feature, but every single time I try to get things smooth, I want a smoothing tool. I'm convinced that this is a very good feature to add.

4 hours ago, Daenny said:

How would a dab help with terraforming? ;) 

I too would like a smooth tool. I simply can not get the flatten tool to act the way I want it too. It always picks some odd angle, even when I'm looking at the surface I want. And the whole ramp ends up messy. And when I'm trying to fix it, it just even messes up more.

A simple smoothing tool would be much needed. Just something that form the terrain to make it easier for vehicles to navigate.

This definitely needs improvements.  Leveling with a radius much larger as it's basis might help.

Or, even better.  Make the smoothing tool allow picking of surrounding points, and smooth between the points?  At least 3 points needed.  What do you think?

Edited by Nargg

I agree with the OP, the current tool is great, but an additional smooth feature would make it that much better, especially when your base suddenly decides to drop down into the ground and for making those ramp transitions without fudging around forever between the current tools.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like a smoothing and sharpening tool. One to take an edge, from two flat areas, and make it nice and rounded. Another to find the two nearest large, flat areas and make where they join a nice crisp edge (un-smoothe the edge)