DANGEROUS CREATURES & How to Deal with them. 4 Ideas.

I love the idea of not using weapons to deal with dangerous creatures. The scientific, sort of Star Trek philosophy of doing no harm seems to fit well with this game.

Here are some ideas for dealing with dangerous creatures:

- Your flashlight could scare away creatures lurking in the deeper parts of cave systems

- You could throw a lure to distract it or lead it somewhere

- You could build "Thumpers" around your base to scare away sandworms (yes, sandworms please!)

- Perhaps a gun or a trap that emits a stasis field freezing the creature for a few seconds

I also like the idea of having to deal with specific creatures in specific ways. Perhaps one type of creature is sensitive to sound, but not to light for example, but you have to figure it out as you go along.

I'm sure there's some even better ideas around this, but these are just a few of my thought starters :D

7 hours ago, Fly Boy said:

1+

(btw. Thumpers on "dune" work the other way around, they attract worms ;)

Oh, that's right @Fly Boy :D You are correct sir. Maybe the sandworms in Astroneer are like grumpy old men who don't like loud noises.

"You dang kids with your music!" and then they sort of, move off :)

I very like these ideas, but i have to ask, why are the aggressive fauna automatically aggro? I know some plants are automatically aggro, but that is because: The Puff-Things need to reproduce with spore clouds, and the Spikers and the Reelers need food/nutrients. I personally think that the fauna should be normally passive, but if the player tries to kill the fauna (say: skins for parachutes) , instead of passively harvesting them (say: wool from sheep-like animals), they would turn aggro for a short time. I do like the idea of the flashlight and if fences are implemented they could be useful as herding/marking for areas , but people should be able to take things passively (Some animal hair might collect ground items for taking /hair could be harvested by the player/ dropped antlers could be taken from ground/ etc) and harvesting dead animals (dead through natural causes). I don't think "Weapons" should be implemented, but a spike or a battering ram on the front of the truck might be useful for killing animals. You just have to worry about the rest of the herd getting angry at you....

1+

Should be a fun challenge for player, discouraging them from straying too far from their base (one of the basic of survival)

Giant sandworms should spawn far from spawnpoint, and De-aggro if the player is on a vehicle or base

I also agree tothe guy with a juggler avatar, Weapon should be the last thing added to astroneer

Edited by Lithium

@Sidegamer those are some excellent points. I think having some animals passive (unless provoked or maybe a rare few are just plain friendly) and others more aggressive would add to the gameplay and excitement of discovering new creatures. Not knowing if it's going to charge or flee would be part of the fun.

Although I feel like harvesting their skins or fur doesn't quite fit with the space faring theme. Perhaps you could freeze an animal (with the stasis field) and scan it to learn how it survives on that particular planet. Say you find a giant yeti creature on the cold Tundra planet, you could scan it to upgrade your suit with better thermal lining for example (I know they're thinking of adding in environmental hazards such as extreme heat/cold/radiation). But maybe it's fairly difficult because the stasis field only lasts for a few seconds.

But come to think of it, running over a creature in your vehicle is bound to happen at some point and it would be strange if it was fairly small and didn't die. Just shrugs it off like it's a boss :D So maybe it is possible, but quite difficult.

@Lithium absolutely. The creatures should become more dangerous the further you get from your base, deeper you go underground or around rare minerals!

Можно, идея имеет место быть. Для начала  ввести такого:

250px-GremlinStripeByInti.jpg

пусть перегрызает опоры с кислородом ;)

А потом такого:

34088-expert.jpg

пусть раскидывает все ресурсы на базе, которые не закреплены на складе :D

И вы замучаетесь выкапывать соединения для починки опор с кислородом xD

GWT:

Spoiler

It is possible, the idea is taking place. To begin to enter this:

250px-GremlinStripeByInti.jpg

Let gnaws support with oxygen :)

And then this:

34088-expert.jpg
let spreads all resources on the basis of which is not fastened to the stock :D

And you torment digging compound to repair the supports  with oxygen xD

Hi @Cefeiko

I don't speak Russian, but from the translation I can make out that you are suggesting Gremlins (great movie, well at least the first one :)) appear occasionally and chew through your tethers. 

Oh my. That would be most frustrating. I'm not sure I like that idea as you already have to deal with other troll gamers disconnecting your tethers while you're wandering about deep inside a cave.

I guess if you just didn't feed them after midnight it would be ok :D 

Well in the final version of the game there will hopefully be a mode to restrict the muliplayer participants to persons you can trust. So the need for defense against some annoying critters will be ok and enrich the experience of survival.

I hope so @Fly Boy

I see what you're saying though. So in order to prevent constant deaths from tether gnawing critters you would have to build some sort of deterrent to keep them away, or you could just risk it and not be away from your base for too long if you like to live dangerously.

I guess that's what Early Access is all about. If something like that were to become too annoying, they could nerf it so it happens less frequently of just turf it altogether if the community felt that way. We do live in a marvelous age :D 

22 hours ago, 1Up said:

Hi @Cefeiko

I don't speak Russian, but from the translation I can make out that you are suggesting Gremlins (great movie, well at least the first one :)) appear occasionally and chew through your tethers. 

Oh my. That would be most frustrating. I'm not sure I like that idea as you already have to deal with other troll gamers disconnecting your tethers while you're wandering about deep inside a cave.

Доброго времени суток.

Если честно, я эти картинки вставил для шутки :)
Лично мне не хочется ни каких агрессивных животных, мне охота собирать ресурсы и исследовать планеты, пещеры, крафтить  апргрейдить то, что скрафтил раньше...

А вот  агрессивных конкурентов космонавтов я бы отстрелил с удовольствием :)

И да, первый, это гремлин, второй, наверное зубастик из фотошопа...

GWT (translator) :

Spoiler

Good time of day

To be honest, I put these pictures for a joke :)
Personally, I do not want nor any aggressive animals, I hunt to gather resources and explore the planet, the cave, Kraft upgrade that crafted before ...

But aggressive competitors astronauts shot off, I would be happy :)

And yes, first, that a gremlin, a second, probably Nibbler of Photoshop ...

I definitely want to see some live creatures on some planets, after all as far as I've gotten there is a very nicely developed flora in the planet terra at least and I believe it should be able to support some sort of life. I also think that each planet should have different species of animals or critters that survive on different climates. I think having some be aggressive and others passive/passive-aggressive is a great Idea as with all life when it feels threatened it fights back. 

Absolutely @Katzio

System Era has already announced they will be adding creatures so you can definitely look forward to bumping into a few :) 

I really like the ideas of creatures roaming the planet, having different characters (friendly, passive, aggressive)

How about you could catch them and keep them as pets? Ride them, feed them, get resources from their fecies? :)

On 1/22/2017 at 10:58 PM, 1Up said:

Hi @Cefeiko

Well. Curious, semi intelligent fauna could find the bits and bobs we retrieve from the planets surface quite captivating. It's not outside the realm of possibility that they would take to collecting these. Much to the annoyance of our friendly neighborhood Astroneer :D

1 hour ago, Aeron said:

I really like the ideas of creatures roaming the planet, having different characters (friendly, passive, aggressive)

How about you could catch them and keep them as pets? Ride them, feed them, get resources from their fecies? :)

Hi @Aeron

Yes indeed. Pets are a great idea! I'm sure System Era could create some really cute creatures in this awesome style they've created!

Pet poop is definitely "organic material" so you could perhaps use it as fuel for your personal generator. You might need to craft a Pooper Scooper though :D 

5 minutes ago, 1Up said:

Hi @Aeron

Yes indeed. Pets are a great idea! I'm sure System Era could create some really cute creatures in this awesome style they've created!

Pet poop is definitely "organic material" so you could perhaps use it as fuel for your personal generator. You might need to craft a Pooper Scooper though :D 

Еще, можно выращивать картофель, а домашние животные могут помочь с "удобрениями" для его хорошего роста. И тогда картофель будет вкуснее, чем у того космонавта, который застрял на Марсе ;)

GWT:

Spoiler

Still, it is possible to grow potatoes, and pets can help with "fertilizer" for its good growth. And then the potatoes will taste better than that of the astronaut, who was stuck on Mars ;)

Hey @Mr. Badger

Haha :D That would be funny. You come back to your base and scratch your head like "Dang it! I'm sure I... left it... right over here...".

*Paw comes into frame and nabs some compound xD 

That's right @Cefeiko Matt Damon sure knows how to grow a potato :D

That's actually quite a good idea though! It would make having a pet quite useful, besides the fact that pets are just great in general xD