So the Xbox version receives updates before Steam even with their long update process? In that case they are deliberately holding back the Steam version. This is really low in my eyes, why do we have to suffer on PC Steam just because Xbox is so slow?

I thought fixing bugs and performance is a "as soon as possible" thing, looks like patch parity is more important for them.

Edited by mikk

Curious as to what the new update is, hopefully fixes the FPS issue and the tethers. Also is anyone else having an issue with the Windows 10 version because I can't seem to get a multiplayer game going without it crashing when I invite friends.

Adam said in the last stream that the team want to make the patch releases more equal so no one will be left behind (mainly due to the microsoft process).
This makes them focus more on the bugs than try to release as often as possible, we as players get more reliable fixes and the dev's get more time and less pressure.

2 hours ago, mikk said:

So the Xbox version receives updates before Steam even with their long update process? In that case they are deliberately holding back the Steam version. This is really low in my eyes, why do we have to suffer on PC Steam just because Xbox is so slow?

I thought fixing bugs and performance is a "as soon as possible" thing, looks like patch parity is more important for them.

If the Steam version updates, and XBOX/Microsoft side has to wait, anywhere from a few days to a week, it would throw off the fans on the X/M platform because they would feel they are left behind. 

Only the very die-hards of the die-hards that play every single day will notice the slight delay, over all, it's not going to exactly hurt anyone. 

5 hours ago, Forgo said:

If the Steam version updates, and XBOX/Microsoft side has to wait, anywhere from a few days to a week, it would throw off the fans on the X/M platform because they would feel they are left behind. 

Only the very die-hards of the die-hards that play every single day will notice the slight delay, over all, it's not going to exactly hurt anyone. 

It's a dumb idea. When something is ready release it, especially in the early days when fixes should come as soon as possible. They prefer to holding back Steam, in fact it's the slowest platform now when it should be the other way around. This is ridiculous and a slap in the face for Steam players. Your argument doesn't work considering that they didn't even bother to update the experimental path.

You're making an assumption that the code base is identical for both platforms and the Dev testing occurs in parallel for both. Neither is likely to be true. 

46 minutes ago, WhosTog said:

You're making an assumption that the code base is identical for both platforms and the Dev testing occurs in parallel for both. Neither is likely to be true. 

Now this is silly. PC is their development platform and yes the build base is that easy according to them. Unless the update provides only XBox specific improvements it is nonsense what you are saying. All Steam fixes also were shared to the Xbox, and you may didn't notice that the UWP version was updated at the same time and suddenly they rushed out the same update on the experimental branch at Steam, they are just deliberately delaying Steam to be in-line with the slower platform.

Xbox users were complaining after 3 weeks, pc users are complaining after 12hrs. Lol let Devs do what the do best. I'm guessing they wait to hear when Xbox gets the update before they release the steam one. It's a good model to release the same update at the same time, especially for bug reports and yes I was one of the people advocating for consistency, so shoot me ?

Its a game, not your life... is it? But really, if it was the other way around then you wouldn't be saying anything about how long it takes. Just enjoy the updates as they come and when they come. ???

Edited by Chris Deel

Ok so the crossplay between X1 and Win10 options seem to be there now, I can select to join friends on the X1 version and vice versa however when I do it doesn't work, If the person on the X1 version tries to join mine it just reloads the game back to the menu

12 hours ago, Sathuros said:

Adam said in the last stream that the team want to make the patch releases more equal so no one will be left behind (mainly due to the microsoft process).
This makes them focus more on the bugs than try to release as often as possible, we as players get more reliable fixes and the dev's get more time and less pressure.

I don't agree with that. In the past decade, all software companies are switching to a fast release cycle (I am a software dev). For instance Facebook went from a release each few months to a "twice a day" cycle (see a post here).
The main reasons are:

• Each release inevitably introduce bugs or unexpected side effects, so a fast cycle allow better reaction time. Better for the users, and easier for the devs that can quickly try some fixes and change/refine them if it doesn't work. It's a trial & error process. We break things, we fix things.
  • Devs don't need to take time to run extensive tests and maintain internal pre-pre-alpha pre-release builds with the whole code freezing process, because users will happily do the tests.
  • Devs have less stress and can try more risky changes because if it goes wrong it will be fixed or just reverted the next day/week so the user stays happy. The devs pressure comes from deadlines, if you release often, there's no real deadlines anymore. If you're code isn't ready for this week release, it'll just ship on the next. So devs can focus on quality.
  • Overall development of the software is greatly accelerated. It's a bit like A/B testing on websites. It allows gathering more feedback more quickly and see what works and what doesn't.
Edited by guiohm

2 hours ago, HellHasNoFear said:

Xbox users were complaining after 3 weeks, pc users are complaining after 12hrs. Lol let Devs do what the do best. I'm guessing they wait to hear when Xbox gets the update before they release the steam one. It's a good model to release the same update at the same time, especially for bug reports and yes I was one of the people advocating for consistency, so shoot me ?

It's a poor model because as guiohm pointed out bug reports slow down and also a ready update is waiting for nothing, it's just a really poor update policy for PC customers. That's why on PC serious devs don't wait for the Xbox. It doesn't make sense. The Xbox update process is out of control for the devs, nobody can complain. But delaying updates for other platforms without reasons is a deliberate move from the dev team which is ridiculous. There is still no patch available on Steam by the way. The experimental branch doesn't count, it's for the devs they are telling us. So it's not even true what you are saying, there is no release at the same time, Steam is in fact the slowest.

I swear, the instant gratification generation has to really stop and go outside for a bit once a while. 

imho I think that this is one of those arugements that will not be satisfied. The people who scream about the xbone patches were screaming about the delay , and it was put out that sony was a slower tester for bugs at the xbone  level not the dev level.  So now that the deves are attempting to get the patch out to xbone to speed it up, the pc community screames that they don't have the patch yet. Steam lets the patches through quicker and it would be a shorter time for them. The main problem imho is that if you look  at the xbone controls they do not function like the pc controls and need a different sort of fix to get the same functions in the game.  If you really have a problem with this type of patch works try to put out a game of some sort and then get it to all the different platforms and see how quick you are able to do it and still satisfy the  community on your game.

Me I am happy that they are really attempting to satisfy all of us with the fast pace of patches not everything is going to be done on the instent  type of thing but they are at least trying.

2 hours ago, guiohm said:

I don't agree with that. In the past decade, all software companies are switching to a fast release cycle (I am a software dev). For instance Facebook went from a release each few months to a "twice a day" cycle (see a post here).
The main reasons are:

• Each release inevitably introduce bugs or unexpected side effects, so a fast cycle allow better reaction time. Better for the users, and easier for the devs that can quickly try some fixes and change/refine them if it doesn't work. It's a trial & error process. We break things, we fix things.
  • Devs don't need to take time to run extensive tests and maintain internal pre-pre-alpha pre-release builds with the whole code freezing process, because users will happily do the tests.
  • Devs have less stress and can try more risky changes because if it goes wrong it will be fixed or just reverted the next day/week so the user stays happy. The devs pressure comes from deadlines, if you release often, there's no real deadlines anymore. If you're code isn't ready for this week release, it'll just ship on the next. So devs can focus on quality.
  • Overall development of the software is greatly accelerated. It's a bit like A/B testing on websites. It allows gathering more feedback more quickly and see what works and what doesn't.

You know the dev team is 6 man strong and yet you compare with a company size like Facebook, seriously?

I'm surprised they haven't compared SystemEra with Microsoft yet, both are from Seattle. 

1 minute ago, petermileo said:

this is a casual game? (fps drop  just allow me to play/explore for 4 or 5 hours) hire a good game programer system era

I swear, unless you are a programmer yourself, no one should be allowed to critic other programmer's work, at least they would know the pain. 

This current game is in Pre-Alpha status. Here is direct quote off Steam that everyone should have read before purchase. 

WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:

Why Early Access?

Before you read, it is important that you consider this before deciding if you want to support Astroneer this early:

Astroneer is an incomplete game that is in PRE-alpha.

Astroneer will be in Early Access on Steam so that we may get the game in the hands of the players as soon as possible. Engaging with the Astroneer community early on is important to us as that we may work with them to make Astroneer the best aerospace and planetary exploration experience ever.

When it is first release, Astroneer will be in a pre-alpha state: That is to say it will have bugs, it will crash, there will be some performance issues for some players, multiplayer will be unstable for others, gameplay will be unfinished and early, and so on. This is part of the development process and we'd love your support for the game this early. Supporting Astroneer this early will ensure we're getting accurate information about the improvements it needs so that it can be the best version of itself when its finished.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“It is hard to estimate exactly how long Astroneer will be in Early Access, though we are aiming for a year or two.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version of Astroneer will be the complete aerospace exploration fantasy:
  • Explore infinitely diverse worlds with unique atmospheres, biomes, and landscapes.
  • Shape your world with a myriad of deformation tools and features
  • Survive against a number of reality-based hazards. From weather situations, turbulent environments, and unforeseen medical crises. 
  • Build and manage a working industrial base and leave your finger print of the galaxies economy.
  • Customize everything from what your Astroneer looks like, to the modules you produce, and the rovers you own.
  • Play with friends, or strangers, in an online experience that encourages communication and cooperation to succeed.
  • Unravel the mysteries of the galaxy as you search for the elusive rare items.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The current version of Astroneer in Early Access explores the main pillars of the gameplay experience:
  • Discover
  • Explore
  • Research
  • Trade
  • Build
  • Expand

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Astroneer will launch for $19.99 USD. As the game matures and its content grows the price of the game will be reviewed.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“System Era will work with the community to ensure Astroneer is the best fantasy it can be through a number of ways: Our own forum, Steam Community forums, our blog, Twitter, and Facebook. System Era aims to be as transparent with the games development as possible so that its community can be as equally transparent with us with how they're feeling about the game and what improvements they'd like to see.