Flatten Terrain=Fall through ground=Death

Sorry if this has been posted.  I googled and skimmed through a number of the forum posts and didn't see it.

I play on PC Win10x64

While using the terrain tool to flatten/even out the ground (ctrl+left mouse), I often find myself falling through solid ground to my death.  So far this only happens in caves.  After the first few times I decided that maybe it was because I was standing to close and the movement of the terrain cause my character to slip into the ground.  And since caves often have thin layers separating levels it would push me down into the next one.  This in itself would be a bug.  But I've found that even if I use this tool at max distance this still is a common occurrence. 

I have noticed that I can tell when it's going to happen.  As soon as I start to use the tool my character starts "running" in place, like when you jump out of a vehicle and glitch into something solid.  But it's not a continuous run like that.  It's more like a bad loop on a gif.  A step and a half then glitch back to starting position, then a step and a half, ect ...  After anywhere from 0.5 to 2 seconds of this. the character falls through the ground into the next level of the cave and splats horrifically into a million pieces of blood and gore (not rly but It's what I imagine happens ;) ).

I've done some testing to see if this seems to occur more often with thinner layers vs. thicker layers.  I will point the tool at the ground and dig until I break through (obviously not right under my feet) .  And it doesn't seem to matter how thick it is.  As far as I can tell if the tool can dig through the layer I can glitch through the ground into the next level.  So, far if it's thicker than the tool can dig I haven't glitched through.

Be prepared for some amazing paint skills because, for clarity, I will now make some illustrations ---->

splat.jpg

I fail ... Didn't read the stickies before posting.  Sorry!

Game Build:

Steam's Current content BuildID - 1551517

Description: 
Explained Above

Platform:
Steam

Specifications:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4200M 2.5GHz
  • GPU: GeForce 840M 2Gig Dedicated
  • RAM: 6GB Stock
  • Drive: ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB
Edited by wpmac10

I noticed this issue on xbox just recently. What I've hypothesized is that using the flatten tool was for some reason or another effecting more terrain than it should have and I was walking on the effected terrain. I also think the camera angle might have something to do with it, as I remember standing perfectly still  while flattening and falling, as well as walking while flattening and falling. Not too sure, but that's what I've come up with so far.

Also, for me, it was more like a free fall that I could move in. The first fall I died. The second I floated back to the surface. And the third I ended up back in the cave I statted in after (all times) clipping through the ground/surface.

Edited by link23454
Missed information