wpmac10

Hopeful for the Future!

Greetings fellow space travelers!!

First off I'd like to say thank you to the Devs for this wonderful little treasure of a game.  I'd like to credit @Day[9] for pointing me towards this gem.  I'm ecstatic when I come across an indy game worthy of support.  And I am happy to say that this is one of those games, imho.  I truly hope there's enough community support to continue development because this thing can blossom into something great!  Even in it's current state I thoroughly enjoy tinkering around with it.  Yes there are a ton of bugs and not a lot of content.  But that's what development stages are for (pre-alpha).  No, it's not worth $20, yet, but I consider my money well spent investing in the future of Astroneer!  I can see endless hours spent plugging around these worlds as the game grows.  I hope I can be an asset in the growth and development of this game and look forward to working with all of you to give the devs all of the tools they need to make a successful game!

I paid $25 Canadian. Currently I'm approaching 50 hours.

$0.50 per hour, split with 6 Devs, they each got 8 pennies for their effort from me. *shrug* It's worth it to me. 

On 1/19/2017 at 6:10 PM, Forgo said:

I paid $25 Canadian. Currently I'm approaching 50 hours.

$0.50 per hour, split with 6 Devs, they each got 8 pennies for their effort from me. *shrug* It's worth it to me. 

Before I reply I want to ensure that devs know that I understand I did not purchase a complete game.  I made an investment into their studio based on their commitment to the community, the fact that they have shown their dedication to improving their game, and the quality of their product up to this point.  And I am satisfied with my investment so far :)

@Forgo - This is part of the problem with today's gaming culture.  Regardless of how much time you've gotten out of the game it is still a mess of bugs and crashes.  If you purchased this game as a stand alone product than you spent your money on an unfinished disaster.  If you purchased a full release game and received it in this state would you be satisfied?  Of course not.  We, as a community, should expect more out of the people supplying our software.

And you can't break it down to how much each dev made off of you per hour.  If you look at it like that then if you buy a AAA game for $60, got 1 hour into it, and find out it's a terrible game  then it's not rly a big deal because you only paid pennies to each of the 100 people who worked on the game.  As well as the fact that I could purchase an amazing game that has a finite single player campaign without much replay value, get a couple hours out of it, and be completely satisfied with the money I spent.  Or I could buy an open ended game that is just so-so and get 10 hours out of it and not have had as much fun as i did with the previous game.

Inversely if the first game was a buggy mess, it wouldn't matter how good the game was I would be dissatisfied with the money I spent since I did not receive a finished product.  If I went to a store and spent $5 on some chocolate covered cherries only to find that 3 of the 6 where missing the cherries inside, it rly wouldn't matter how good the ones that were there are, I would be pissed that i bought an unfinished product.  On the other hand if I found a startup company that made the most amazing candies and bought 3 cherries for $5 I would be happy to invest in their company.  If you compare these two scenarios, Yes I spent the same amount of money on the same amount of product.  But, the principal under which they where purchased makes a HUGE difference!!

Now, having said all of that, none of this may apply to you.  You may have the same outlook.  It just sounds like you where ok with having spent money on the unfinished box of cherries.  And that kind of attitude only devalues the consumer (us) and increases the chance that big companies will continue to rape us, both in the quality of their products and the prices they charge.

Or maybe I'm okay with some bugs and understand that is part of pre alpha and early access, and I still enjoyed my time in the game enough to say, that if I have an accident and lose both my arms, and never be able to play again. 

I would still be satisfied with the enjoyment from this game on my purchase. 

Completely agree - have started playing, got in a groove, looked up and 7 hours had passed! I think I'm well over the 40 hour mark in total which is money well spent in my book. Not to mention the incredible future this game has.