Bryson Dunn

Please Do something about this

The easiest solution is to just off yourself and you will respawn at your base! In the future, use a trail of beacons or tethers to keep track of where you explored, or even better, use the sun to navigate back home!

On 1/18/2017 at 8:11 PM, Bryson Dunn said:

I went to adventure and I can't find my base because the marker won't show up and I'm quite ticked.

Make sure to make beacons to mark your way home next time. :)

Your current options are to 

1. Drive / run around until you find it
  2. Listen to @staymighty and off yourself (fastest solution and your corpse will have an X marker if you ever find your way near it again)

I made this same mistake once ... I have now learned my lesson and I leave a trail of tethers to help me navigate home now.

If you haven't offed yourself yet - I read this elsewhere on the forum but align yourself with the stars directly above you. Once you've done that pick a direction, either east or west, start running (or rovering) and you'll eventually run into your habitat again. 

If you hover the reticle on yourself a compass appears.   No need for astral navigation.   Unfortunately picking a random compass direction and heading in a straight line will not guarantee success.  As an example: if you are 100 km North of the base,  and turn due east you can walk the circumference of the entire planet and never be closer than the original 100 km.  It does make a systematic search possible,  though. I wonder if you climbed a peak, would the game physics give you a longer view,  possibly triggering your home beacons to show up. Worth a try. 

A simple guide.

Use a compass.
Use beacons.
Create your own landmarks.
Write down notes, Base is East of Beacon at this Stone henge type of thing, Go North from this Beacon at this spacecraft.. type of thing.

A technique I use is creating a ramp with terrain tool, like 20 or 30 meters high.  Walk up the ramp and place your beacon at the top.  This will allow it to be seen from a farther distance over the horizon. 

One problem with the beacons, regardless of how high you place them... the clouds will cover them which blocks you from seeing them.

39 minutes ago, Pi_ said:

A technique I use is creating a ramp with terrain tool, like 20 or 30 meters high.  Walk up the ramp and place your beacon at the top.  This will allow it to be seen from a farther distance over the horizon. 

One problem with the beacons, regardless of how high you place them... the clouds will cover them which blocks you from seeing them.

I use a very similar method and I make sure that the ramp is pointing in the direction of my base or the previous beacon. This means that if you do get lost or confused you know which direction to travel once you find one of your beacons. 

I used a reverse of this system to help me find and retrieve a truck that I'd lost. I found the truck by orbiting the planet in a shuttle and then placed a marker & beacon at the nearest landing site. I then made similar beacons at each of the landing sites between there and my base. 

I returned to my base, built a rover and drove off to collect my truck. On the return trip I stopped at each of the beacons and modified the marker so that it pointed towards my base. 

IMG_8734.JPG