Short version: single player needs a pause button, and there should be information given at the beginning about how saving works.

Long version: Reasons and explanations given below.

I understand that having a pause button doesn't work for multiplayer, but there should be one for single player mode.  I want to be able to leave the computer for two minutes to go to the bathroom without dying because a storm picked up (this has happened) and answer the door promptly rather than rushing to get in a habitat before I can get up (this has also happened).  It would also let me stop in the middle of gameplay to eat, rather than discovering that I'm starving the moment I get kicked off the computer.

Saving... I came in with no knowledge of how this game saves.  I eventually figured out that going into a habitat/seat saves, but it took a while.  That should really be one of the first things a player learns.  Also, there are things I still don't know about saving.  I don't know if it autosaves every once in a while, or if it saves when you press escape, or when you ask to return to the main menu, or to the desktop, or whatever.

+1 Awesome Idea!

These situations have happened to me...

I would really enjoy a pause button, escape should be it though. That way it saves and pauses! (Just in-case it crashes or something)

20 hours ago, DrivenWild said:

+1 Awesome Idea!

These situations have happened to me...

I would really enjoy a pause button, escape should be it though. That way it saves and pauses! (Just in-case it crashes or something)

Another +1 from me.

+1 from me as well

I have had the same problems as the original poster and they are quite annoying!

Game time doesn't matter, I guess, but getting killed because I have to step away is not proper.

Save game management is on the road map towards 1.0

As it's Pre Alpha, we just have to be patient with the 'makes life easier' polishings, they'll come, but probably not going to be a priority until at least for a while. 

12 hours ago, Forgo said:

Save game management is on the road map towards 1.0

As it's Pre Alpha, we just have to be patient with the 'makes life easier' polishings, they'll come, but probably not going to be a priority until at least for a while. 

Fair enough, but we want to make sure they know we think it's important.

It is for later, but right now, you are better off starting new games once new patch comes anyways, so, in the end, it doesn't matter. (favourite song of all time)

I don't see why.  I mean, it's not like I know what the programming looks like, but I don't see why it can't be an alteration made now.  I figure that's up to the programmers to decide, when they want to make what changes.  I just think this is an important one for the gameplay experience.  A lot of suggestions I see are for adding more cool things, which is great, but I really want to be able to leave the game for two minutes without worrying about dying and whatnot.

I went to university for computer programming, albeit thirty years ago. It isn't as simple as putting a button in the interface. You have to suspend events and put everything into a buffer or some such.

As I said, thirty years ago. Good god, that was before even object-oriented programming came around, so I am probably talking out of my hat, but that's the way I see it.

That said, I would very much like to have the pause button sooner rather than later, but I am of the school of trying to ensure it gets in there eventually.

Oh yeah, like I said, I don't know what the programming looks like, or how difficult this would be, and I'm certainly willing to be patient.  But the suggestions and ideas thing seems like it's meant for us to let them know what we thing is important.  I'm in no rush.  But if they never added a pause button because I never made my opinions known, that would be frustrating.

I would love a pause button. I thought the menu was it, came back to a suffocated body lol.

As for the pause/save feature, I could do without it. Saving in a habitat or vehicle makes more "sense" story wise.

I also missed the Pause-Button, but I´m also not aware about the effort and game-mechanics.

Saving in a habitat or vehicle is quite ok for me -  that makes sense.

On 18/01/2017 at 6:34 PM, Black Utahraptor said:

Saving... I came in with no knowledge of how this game saves.  I eventually figured out that going into a habitat/seat saves, but it took a while.  That should really be one of the first things a player learns.  Also, there are things I still don't know about saving.  I don't know if it autosaves every once in a while, or if it saves when you press escape, or when you ask to return to the main menu, or to the desktop, or whatever.

It would be allied to the Tutorial idea that I just discussed. Bubble popups that would imply some vague ideas about what to do next, or just a straightforward message like "enter a vehicle/seat to save the game". Or just transfer it when you click Esc.

On 21/01/2017 at 3:24 PM, Black Utahraptor said:

I don't see why.  I mean, it's not like I know what the programming looks like, but I don't see why it can't be an alteration made now.  I figure that's up to the programmers to decide, when they want to make what changes.  I just think this is an important one for the gameplay experience.  A lot of suggestions I see are for adding more cool things, which is great, but I really want to be able to leave the game for two minutes without worrying about dying and whatnot.

There are priorities in the road map for 1.0. This is pre-alpha, not even the first version launched. It is supposed to be broken for now. But it is GREAT to see you people talking about what you think is wrong or not. We, as a community, must build this game from our complaints and constructive criticism. 

1 hour ago, Juniperus said:

I feel that the pause button has become a thing of the past. Ways around dying include dig a hole sit in a seat or a habitat. 

It is interesting, but there is no point in adding this hardcore-ish feel to a game that's just the opposite of it.

On 2/8/2017 at 6:15 AM, Juniperus said:

I feel that the pause button has become a thing of the past. Ways around dying include dig a hole sit in a seat or a habitat. 

I don't want to start an argument--your view is definitely valid.  Not having a pause button does add something to the game experience, like realism or difficulty level or something.  However, there are times when life just happens, and you just need to leave the computer, and those moments don't wait for times when you can do things like what you're suggesting.  (No seats or habitats nearby, maybe you're out of tether range, or digging a hole would ruin your carefully constructed "road" for your vehicle...)

Theoretically, I can see how some games could benefit from not having a pause button, but I don't think this is one of them--at least, as far as my enjoyment of the game goes.  Your mileage may vary.

Kano, I appreciate that there are different priorities at different stages of development.  Thank you for your insight, though.

+1 for me.

I've even tried to suspend the process in resmon as a work around. Suffocated instantly after resuming.

This game is great to be played in between or after work but I cannot allocate an uninterrupted time slot for that.