Sign in to follow this  
EZMac22

Ability to delete buildings, vehicles, habitats, and game saves

When I play exploration games such as Astroneer, I often find that I want to change the layout of my buildings as I play the game more. As I discover and learn more about each building, I start to want to group certain ones together. Right now, to do that, I have to make a whole new habitat and rebuild from scratch. This is a huge pain and I believe it is something that would hopefully be fairly easy to change.

I also find that while playing exploration games, I get restless or bored in my game saves or I just want a fresh new start. Currently Astroneer does not have a way of deleting game saves so because I've been restarting, I've got about 8 different game saves to choose from and it gets a bit hard to keep track of them if I do decide to go back to an older one. So the two requests I have to fix this problem, would be to add the ability to delete games saves, along with the ability to rename game saves.

I'm sure I'm not the only player who wishes for these changes to be implemented and it would be widely appreciated if they were implemented as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for reading, - EZMac22

+1 not being able to delete the bases especially when it's so bloody buggy where it places them is an annoying little thing. 

6 hours ago, [IGC] Chelrid said:

+1

This is a very old thread....  Saves are no longer a problem and moving base buildings has been discussed in much more recent threads.

3 hours ago, [IGC] Chelrid said:

Sorry, i didn't find any post about an official info from the dev for the moving/deconstruct base buildings.

Since patch 125, it is possible to destroy base buildings with dynamite, see the patch notes:

2 hours ago, [IGC] Chelrid said:

No, it is not possible. i tried it in this moment.

That is weird, because I tried it myself after your comment and it does work for me. I am able to use a dynamite explosion to remove a platform with a printed module and a platform without a module (i.e. you only see the hologram outline of a to be printed module on it). However, I am not able to remove a simple node that hasn't been made into a platform yet. But that is just because I am unable to place a stack of dynamite such that I can reach its ignition button; instead, with every click, the node tries to extend into an additional node.

I am using the Steam version of the game with a saved game that has been created after the latest patch 158 on a Windows 7 computer.

Are you placing the dynamite onto the building which you want to remove, or onto the ground next to the building? As far as I know, the dynamite needs to be attached to the building.

Edited by Marck

1 hour ago, Marck said:

As far as I know, the dynamite needs to be attached to the building.

That was the answer. thanks. now i can build my base new.

On 25.5.2017 at 2:18 PM, Marck said:

However, I am not able to remove a simple node that hasn't been made into a platform yet. But that is just because I am unable to place a stack of dynamite such that I can reach its ignition button; instead, with every click, the node tries to extend into an additional node.

Same here. and you can not destroy an placed Habitat. (tried this with an "based" habitat on the moon)

Thanks again for the tip to put the dynamite on the platform and not on the ground.

I just ran into this very problem.  While trying to build a multi-level base, I had a node try to go up when I only wanted it to go straight out.  Placed dynamite on it to get rid of it and now I can't reach the trigger OR the dynamite.  The base is basically ruined now, and after all the work I'm considering deleting the save and starting over.

1.  Need to be able to self-destruct nodes.  Save the dynamite for the full platforms.

2.  Need to be able to FORCE the direction the nodes go to begin with.  That could be as simple as showing little arrow buttons to nudge it left, right, up, or down.  Let it auto-detect where it thinks it should go, then let us correct it.

6 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

Placed dynamite on it to get rid of it and now I can't reach the trigger OR the dynamite.  The base is basically ruined now, and after all the work I'm considering deleting the save and starting over.

Can't you just put two resource stacks of resin on that node to make it into a platform, and then destroy it with dynamite?

6 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

Need to be able to FORCE the direction the nodes go to begin with.  That could be as simple as showing little arrow buttons to nudge it left, right, up, or down.

Well, you can already force it into a horizontal (left/right) direction: The node will always extend into the direction where the camera is (given that there is room for an extension). The vertical direction is a little trickier though: You can somewhat control it by preparing the terrain to be on the level that you want the extension node to be on. However, this won't work underground, i.e. when there is terrain above the extension node; in that case, the extension tends to go up, as far as I know.

I'm well aware that you can sort of "trick" the node where to go, BUT...  There are bugs in the left/right positioning (sometimes the node will drift until you put resin on it).  I'm looking to go beyond that anyway, and being able to shift it over even more so the connector bends a little.  The up/down positioning is beyond tricky.  It's nearly impossible to get it exactly where you want it, especially if you have a base with a low ceiling.  Then it will go up no matter what you do.  When I say I want control over it, I mean *CONTROL* not trying to trick the auto positioning into place.  I've built a lot of bases at this point, and my requests are not shots in the dark.

Wouldn't it be better to make the existing features work correctly instead of introducing new controls to handle the result of unwanted behavior?

As far as I know, the auto-positioning is a placeholder anyway. Before the Early Access release, it was possible to freely position a node's umbilical, as can be seen in the Early Access Trailer at 0:31 or in the PAX West Trailer at 0:15. In the Official Reveal Trailer at 0:40, it was even possible to freely move platforms. This could be how it is supposed to work eventually.