Yuni_Hermit

Add a Craftable Module to increase Carrying Capacity

Nothing's as frustrating as going hoofing it on foot into a cave on your tether chain to find loot, only to QUICKLY run out of space for anything to carry up to the surface because your backpack has space taken up by 1-2 tanks and 1-2 batteries.

Only to have your carrying capacity filled to the brim with Power stacks because you keep having to dig up farting plants and spiky ones to carve your path. Your backpack is full before you even get down into the second tunnel, and it feels -wasteful- to just leave all that power lying there when your base has power problems regularly.

So why not add a 'Backpack Storage' craftable item? There's a 'Vehicle Storage' and a 'Base Storage' module, why not for backpack? More slots would be wondrous. As it is, I literally end up carrying a Base Storage module all the way down and back into the cave when I'm harvesting coal, just so I can carry 8 small items using my arms.

After reading this article, I understand some of the reasons that inventory is so limited and thus have some issues with crafted storage upgrades.  That said, a battery + a tank and occasionally 2 of each have become standard equipment for me, on top of a solar panel + a wind vane and always at least one stack of tethers (and ideally compound to make more).

It'd be nice to be able to install a limited number of items as "permanent" upgrades that free them from taking up a slot, thus being able to free up the 8 (10 if you count the top 2) slots on the backpack for actually holding resources. Perhaps this can be limited to 4 items or so, cost a titanium each to make, and with the only way to dismount an item being to destroy it.

That'd make it effectively useless for inventory expansion, but still allow a standard exploring complement of batteries and tanks and panels and vanes.

Of course, I end up making massive roadways so I can drive everywhere...

There's actually 11 spots if you count the 'crafting' spot as well.

If you use tether, then you don't really need a tank or battery for that matter. 

You could drive a truck pulling another truck or two down to the caves with you, plenty of storage space then. 

9 hours ago, Forgo said:

There's actually 11 spots if you count the 'crafting' spot as well.

If you use tether, then you don't really need a tank or battery for that matter. 

You could drive a truck pulling another truck or two down to the caves with you, plenty of storage space then. 

Yes,Tanks and Batterys are useless if you use Tethers or even a simple Buggy(i mean come on it isnt expensive....)
And i can work very good with the limited Inventory

I think Astroneer's vision will place a big emphasis on "physicalness" of everything.  If this "backpack storage" unit automatically expands/unfolds when you pull it out of the backpack and onto the ground, then maybe that won't fit their vision.

I do just fine with what I have on me, and try to stay near a vehicle 95% of the time.  I have found ways to navigate underground with vehicles, so I just go with those.  If you have to use long tether lines from the vehicle to the mining spot, then try to use less tether lines and keep your distance shorter.  Does that make sense?